D 14 Allis Chalmers- Front end loader setup price.

/ D 14 Allis Chalmers- Front end loader setup price. #1  

BridgeBoy

Tractor
none
Hi,

I am looking at a D 14 that does not have a front end loader. Any idea on cost, used for a front end loader.

Is it practical to go this route since tractor is $2700?

Thanks,

BridgeBoy

/ D 14 Allis Chalmers- Front end loader setup price. #2  
My grandfather had a D-14 that I spent many an hour operating. Personally I would not recommend a loader for that tractor as the pump doesn't have very much flow plus it only has a single acting outlet on the rear that is tied up with the internal lift arm cylinders... in other words you have to raise the lift arms all the way before you can use your loader. As such you won't be able to tilt your bucket back and forth without some major plumbing and loaders that were originally made to fit that tractor had manual trips on them.

Now that I think about it I wouldn't recommend getting any old Allis Chalmers tractor as repair parts availability is iffy with some things at best. Then again if you got one running they are beasts for the size tractor they are. Its just that if and when something breaks you might not be able to fix it without scavenging a part of a junker.

/ D 14 Allis Chalmers- Front end loader setup price. #3  
My grandfather had a D-14 that I spent many an hour operating. Personally I would not recommend a loader for that tractor as the pump doesn't have very much flow plus it only has a single acting outlet on the rear that is tied up with the internal lift arm cylinders... in other words you have to raise the lift arms all the way before you can use your loader. As such you won't be able to tilt your bucket back and forth without some major plumbing and loaders that were originally made to fit that tractor had manual trips on them.

Now that I think about it I wouldn't recommend getting any old Allis Chalmers tractor as repair parts availability is iffy with some things at best. Then again if you got one running they are beasts for the size tractor they are. Its just that if and when something breaks you might not be able to fix it without scavenging a part of a junker.

You should find parts availability for the engine and such OK since Allis sold a bunch of those units...
Fenders and body parts will need to be scavenged from salvage yards...
Those are good units but like most farm tractors of that era they were designed for row crop applications...
Not the best for front end loader work...

/ D 14 Allis Chalmers- Front end loader setup price. #4  
We have a D15 Series II with a loader, the tractor would need an Aux pump to get the hydraulics running at a good speed. Ours mounts to the front of the grill and was part of an Allis attachment. How ever the axle is a little light duty, on the industrial versions they had a rib that ran down the axle to stiffen it, i would recommend this mod be done to the tractor if you were to put a loader on it.
It may seem hard finding a loader to fit with out fab and machine tools, you may be better looking for an older machine with a loader already on it.