1948 8n hydraulics

/ 1948 8n hydraulics #1  

Rusty48

I inherited a 48 8n,problem is the hydraulics didnt work for about 10yrs.the draft hook up was broke off and water got into the fluid after sitting out.after working on it ,changing fluid the hyd now lift but wont hold when clutch is in,also wont lower unless you put some weight on it.Any ideas or is a total rebuild of hyd system in order.what about the ram? thanks ,Joe

/ 1948 8n hydraulics #2  
Pull the top deck under the seat. you will know your worries then. Chances are that the ring around the piston has failed and is letting oil bypas the piston or the bore is pitted to the point of being useless. If you are having to put pressure on the links to bring it down I would have to say that it might be rusted inside. let us hope not. Maybe you can polish it up with a cylinder hone.

/ 1948 8n hydraulics #3  
Sounds like relief valve. Lots of times when the lift leaks while the pump isn't spinning is the relief.

Here's a quick check... pull the right side dipstick cover, with the lift engaged and some weight on it.. pto turning, etc... use a flashlight, and look up at the inside under the top cover... excessive oil bypassing the cylinder will be rings. If you see squirts from the sides, there may be a blown gasket on the standpipe that sends the hyd oil up to the cylinder. Also a possibility of a blown gasket at the pump. If you see a swirl in the oil.. could be relief.
Caution... don't stick your hands in... just look in.]

Also. you will notice that under the seat is a little lever... up for position control.. horizontal for draft control. Since you say the toplink rocker and spring assembly was damaged... i would assume only the position control setting would work.

Soundguy

/ 1948 8n hydraulics #4  
There is a great video out on repairing old Ford hydraulic systems. A (moving) picture is worth a thousand words. Got the one for the NAA for my father-in-law. Seemed to be very helpful, lots of common symptoms/cure type info. There's a different video for the 2N/9N/8N group.

Most of the 'restoration' places catering to the old Ford tractors seem to carry them.

Tim

/ 1948 8n hydraulics #5  
You don't see to many old fords that will hold a load with out the pump pumping

/ 1948 8n hydraulics #6  
My 52 8n will drop the 3pt in a bit less than a minute... the NAA will hold it up hours, and my 2n will hold it up at least a week before it has even drooped a few inches.... wish the 8n were like that...

Soundguy

/ 1948 8n hydraulics #7  
The relief valve on the Ferguson pump? On the 8N that drops fast.
Chuck M.

/ 1948 8n hydraulics #8  
just did one on a to35 last week. Early style scottish tie pump. 3 piont would fall in less than 30 sec. Replaced the pump with new pump, honed the lift cylinder and nwe piston and rings. Now it will hold for a week with little or no fall of the three point.

The previous owner did not pay attentension to the type of oils he ran in the tractor. Makes a bunch of difference IMO.

While we were at it we replaced the clutch and the transmission input shat seals. Lots of work, but he now knows what he has and can take care of it and it should last for years to come.

The old fords suffer from the same type of problems many times. I have a 8N that I will do the same job in the spring.

Dane

/ 1948 8n hydraulics #9  
i bought a 48n knowing the hydraulic didnt work. changed oil cleaned sump and still wont lift. opened right acess and reached around to find the left side of lift control arm broke.what consists of removing the top cover. thanks for your help

/ 1948 8n hydraulics #10  
on an 8n? pulling top cover?

remove seat, then remoe bolts around perimiter only.. don't pull the 4 inner ones.

lift cover comes right out / up.

have a new gasket for the cover, available. nop rtv or goops.

if you need / want more info, post back.

r&r of N hyds is EZ... btdt..

soundguy