640 Loader

/ 640 Loader #1  

Tinkerer

Bronze Member
Sullivan County, Indiana \"God\'s Country\"
Tractor
1955 Ford 640
Okay, I got the pump off of my loader, a Superior hydraulic loader, and will finish taking the loader off tomorrow. The shaft coming from the pump to the crank is a two part shaft. The two halves are held together by a double chain. Each half of the shaft is a sprocket and the double chain holds the two halves together. I got the chain off and the pump off, but now how do I get the other shaft off of the crank? It is not coming out and I am afraid to pry on it, being that is hooked to the crank. Any ideas or experience out there?

By the way, if you ever think about putting a loader on a tractor without power steering....don't. It is very hard to steer! The loader was on the tractor when I bought it.

/ 640 Loader #2  
What is a 640 Loader?? What kind of engine? Depending on what you have, that shaft could be threaded, and screwed into the lower crankshaft pulley.
Chuck M.

/ 640 Loader
I should have been more specific, after re-reading my post it is somewhat confusing. My tractor is a Ford 640. My loader is a Superior.

I think the shaft is just splined into the crank, but it will not budge. Maybe it is stuck, rusted on, etc? Maybe it is not splined. Anyway, I need to get the shaft coming from the crank off, so I can use the tracto w/o the loader.

/ 640 Loader
Well, I finally got the pump drive shaft off of my tractor. I tried everything, from break free, to hammering, tapping, come alongs, heat, etc.. but the shaft would not come out of the pump drive, which is bolted to the crank pulley.

I finally decided to cut the shaft where it comes out of the pump drive. I used a sawz all with a metal blade and it came right out. If I sell the loader, and I probably will, the new ownwer will hav to buy/fabricate a new pump drive and shaft, which shouldn't really be that hard.

Once I had the shaft cut, i took the pump drive off of the pulley,and though the shaft was splined, 40 years of rust have made the two pieces one. Anyway, now the shasft is off and not flopping around when the tractor is running. This tractor is 10 times the tractor it was with a loader IMO. It is incredibly nimble w/o the loader and much more useful to me. The down side is that my wife now likes to use it, so seat time was hard to come by this weekend. She moved a lot of dirt with the grader box.

/ 640 Loader #5  
If that is the pump drive coupler I am thinking of, does it have like 3 or 4 rubber bushings where it couples to the crank pulley? Anyway these parts are common if so and are reasonably priced.
Chuck M.