9N auxiliary hydraulic pump thoughts

/ 9N auxiliary hydraulic pump thoughts #1  

garrittg

Tractor
Ford 9N
hey folks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif i am looking into getting a light-duty loader for my 9N and have read enough posts to make me not want to use the hydraulic test port for the hydraulics. i began looking into alternatives and have determined i have 2 basic options. front-mount or PTO pump.

the PTO pumps look the easiest and interest me the most, but are not really mentioned by anyone when discussing the Ns. all info i have found regarding the PTO pumps is that they need a reservoir the same size as their GPM. i have not heard mention of that in posts discussing the front mount. so here are my qs:

1) is the PTO pump simply not a good option when compared to the front-mounts?

2) does a front-mount need an external reservoir as well, does it somehow hook into the existing reservoir (dont think thats possible but not sure), or does it simply not need one for some reason?

3) if i were to mount an external reservoir, where would be a good place for it?

4) is there another option i dont know about?

5) am i just loopy? ...dont answer that one /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

thanks in advance /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 9N auxiliary hydraulic pump thoughts #2  
Does the 9N have a live PTO, In other words does it still spin when you clutch the tranny to stop the tractor ? I don't think it does and this would be a problem with a PTO mounted hydraulic pump.

/ 9N auxiliary hydraulic pump thoughts #3  
Slowrev is right, the 9N PTO will not turn when you push the clutch in. To have live and constant power you munt drive it from the front crankshaft pulley, there are many after-market pumps and drive shafts/coupler kits made just for that tractor. The only thing I am not certain of is if the 9N has the place in the front to bolt the pump, like you do on the 8N. Soundguy might know. About a reservoir, there were some old loaders made out of tubing, and the loader frame was used as a reservoir.
Chuck M.

/ 9N auxiliary hydraulic pump thoughts #4  
I had an 8N with a Wagner loader for many years. It had a front mounted hydraulic pump. The loader had a pipe frame which was also the resevoir for the hydraulic fluid. The pump was operational as long as the engine was running which you will not have with a PTO driven pump.

When you depress the clutch the PTO will also stop. Kind of a pain if you want to dig into a bank, stop tractor, put in netural, let out clutch, operate loader, depress clutch, put into gear.

The gear pump on mine worked real good.

Randy

/ 9N auxiliary hydraulic pump thoughts #5  
PTO pump is virtually useless on aa N series tractor.. pto stops when clutch is in. Front mounted stinger pump is usually the option of choice.. it like the pto pump needs a res'vr// though on many loader designs.,.. the holding tank is part of the loader frame.... however, there is another option, and one that uses the n's internal resevoir.

A fellow named Zane Sherman over on the ytmag.com 9/2/8Nboard makes a kit called a 'live thang' that is essentially all the valving, brackets, etc to install an engine mounted pump. Fits the right or left side, depending on where your alternator / genny is located. Kit does 2 things. 1, since it is plumbed into the internal hyd system, it uses the internal resevoir ( 5 gallons ) and also makes the stock N hyds 'live'... 2, Also adds enough flow to add remotes.. etc.. like for a loader.. etc.

Soundguy

/ 9N auxiliary hydraulic pump thoughts #6  
MY 8N had a front mount pump, and as the others say, it runs all the time, a PTO one would not. As far as a bracket? Mine mounted right where the axle pivits. Here are some pictures........

Attachments

• 386203-plowremove4.jpg
    386203-plowremove4.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 2,376
   / 9N auxiliary hydraulic pump thoughts
thank you for all the replies /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif all my Qs were answered! i completely overlooked the live PTO issue, but that is why we discuss things before we take action. the mentioned "live thang" sounds like a good option since it uses the existing reservoir and has more benefits than just a mounted pump. i am already familiar with zane since i purchased the 9N necessity "zane thang". im going to hop over to zanes site to look into that option some more.

thanks all /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif oh, one more question... do the old one-arm loaders work on the 9Ns?

/ 9N auxiliary hydraulic pump thoughts #8  
another........

Attachments

• 386205-plowremove3.jpg
    386205-plowremove3.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 6,154
   / 9N auxiliary hydraulic pump thoughts #9  
Shot of my resavore. Granted mine was for a plow, not a loader.........

Attachments

• 386207-hydrodone.jpg
    386207-hydrodone.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 3,620
   / 9N auxiliary hydraulic pump thoughts #10  
Where pump shaft mounts to front pully...............

Attachments

• 386208-plowremove5.jpg
    386208-plowremove5.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 1,406