Old Photos

/ Old Photos #2  
Neat. Some of those pulley belts are really long. Any ideas as to why? Thanks for posting.

/ Old Photos #3  
Partly for versatility. You could drive a sawmill that was under a permanent roof, with a steam engine parked a ways from the building/roof. A long belt could easily cover a wide range of drive or load pulleys.

Partly fire safety (for the day). If you are piling up grain, straw, or sawdust, you'd like your coal/wood fired engine to be at a distance.

These were used in remote areas, with slow access to new goods. If a long belt broke, you could lose a few feet, repair it, and still be able to use the belt.

They got the job done. As a young lad, I helped out on a threshing crew, round about 1970. That thresher was driven by a tractor (gas or diesel) with a side drive pulley, and the same long style belt. Since you had a means to haul grain stalks, back in the day it made sense to haul everything to and from a stationary threshing mill.

Impressive to see running, with those long belts. My sense of them (even as a kid) was that people intuitively knew to stay clear of the belts - haven't seen stats, but I wouldn't be surprised if we have more drive related injuries with PTOs today.

Rgds, D.