New to forum with Oliver 550 D that needs some work !

/ New to forum with Oliver 550 D that needs some work ! #1  

Randy Gann

Silver Member
Tractor
Oliver 550 Diesel, Massey 1528 with gel
I am new to this forum. Have an Oliver 550 D that needs some work.
First thing is trash in the fuel tank keeps stopping up at the bottom of the tank. So I need to remove the tank and flush and clean.
Left side brake is gone - - pedal is actually bottomed out. Friend told me the band may be broken. For now one brake is OK.
The lift surges up and down slightly - - and leaks down when the tractor is turned off.

Any tips, advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Randy

/ New to forum with Oliver 550 D that needs some work ! #2  
Over on YTMAG.com there is a active Oliver board.

/ New to forum with Oliver 550 D that needs some work ! #3  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

Enjoy the site.

/ New to forum with Oliver 550 D that needs some work ! #4  
First thing I would do is hop on Ebay and get a CD shop manual for the super55/550. They are about 50 dollars but definitely worth it.

For the brakes I'm sure it is probably definitely a broken brake band. They aren't too difficult to work on but is definitely much easier to work on if you have a shop manual to reference.

As for the hydraulics it might be as something as simple as fluid flush and filter change. The filter should be in a housing directly above the 3pt. top link bracket. I'm not certain but I believe it takes a 1" socket.

Definitely get the tank good and clean and if it doesn't have an inline filter on it I would put one on. The glass bowl filter sometimes have the bottom screens rust/rot out and will let large particles through. If you get a large particle in your diesel injector its going to be issues. You'll also have to crack some injectors to bleed it because it's not self priming to my knowledge.

The 550 is a great tractor. Majority of parts are still available. Hardest things to find are linkage parts so when you disassemble stuff take care in not busting or breaking brackets.

Welcome to the Oliver Gang. :thumbsup:

/ New to forum with Oliver 550 D that needs some work ! #5  
Welcome to the forum.

:welcome:

I'm going to move this thread on over to the vintage tractors section. Hopefully, you'll find some more advice over there.

/ New to forum with Oliver 550 D that needs some work !
Thanks for the advice about the manual ! I am sure it will be very helpful.

First thing I would do is hop on Ebay and get a CD shop manual for the super55/550. They are about 50 dollars but definitely worth it.

For the brakes I'm sure it is probably definitely a broken brake band. They aren't too difficult to work on but is definitely much easier to work on if you have a shop manual to reference.

As for the hydraulics it might be as something as simple as fluid flush and filter change. The filter should be in a housing directly above the 3pt. top link bracket. I'm not certain but I believe it takes a 1" socket.

Definitely get the tank good and clean and if it doesn't have an inline filter on it I would put one on. The glass bowl filter sometimes have the bottom screens rust/rot out and will let large particles through. If you get a large particle in your diesel injector its going to be issues. You'll also have to crack some injectors to bleed it because it's not self priming to my knowledge.

The 550 is a great tractor. Majority of parts are still available. Hardest things to find are linkage parts so when you disassemble stuff take care in not busting or breaking brackets.

Welcome to the Oliver Gang. :thumbsup:

/ New to forum with Oliver 550 D that needs some work ! #7  
Welcome to TBN. Join the fun.:thumbsup:

I had to do a brake job on my 1945 Oliver 60. Easy to do since the 60 is a bull-gear tractor with the brakes on a separate shaft near the rear axle. Your 550 is a more modern tractor with the brakes on the axle.

I've done brake jobs on old tractors like my Minneapolis Moline BF which has brakes on the rear axle. Easy to do. If your rear tires are filled with liquid, I'd advise draining them before removing them for the brake job.

Good luck.