When were McCormick-Deering Farmalls gray?

/ When were McCormick-Deering Farmalls gray? #1  

JayC

Veteran Member
I'm trying to do some research on these machines and quite frankly, I don't know where to begin. If I type in McCormick-Deering Farmall F20 (or F30), I get a lot of results at Yahoo. Most of which I am not interested in. In the few instances I was able to obtain a pic or some info it was a pic of a red/silver M-D Farmall F20, not the gray/red ones I'm looking for. I have a strange fascination with the gray ones. They seem to be a rarity. Does anyone know any good resources to get any good info on these old timers?

/ When were McCormick-Deering Farmalls gray? #2  
Try over at ytmag.com.. they have an IH section that will cover those early ( 30's ? ) grey colored mcormicks.. etc. Lotsa pics to look thru and search as well. Probably gets a little more traffic than the vintage sub here does /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Soundguy

/ When were McCormick-Deering Farmalls gray?
Thanks. I'll have to take a look at it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ When were McCormick-Deering Farmalls gray? #4  
To the best of my knowledge it was when they switched to the F-series that they changed. The regulars were the Gray and they can be identified by the open steering gears on the front.

/ When were McCormick-Deering Farmalls gray? #5  
I found a book at the library on IHC years ago that showed the old MD's.

I restored (mostly) my wife's granddad's first tractor, a 1929 MD 22-36 (or more accurately, a 15-30). It was a beast of a tractor--weighed 7,000 lbs. It was gray, with red wheels.

Best wishes.
Ron

/ When were McCormick-Deering Farmalls gray? #6  
The "official' change over from gray to red was in Nov 1936. Many of the F and W series tractors can be found in both gray and red depending on when they were built. This is not a solid rule with IH though I have a 1935 F-20 that has been red since new. When looking for pics don't forget to use "IH" or "International" as well as McCormick. I also encourage you to visit www.atis.net and subscribe to the farmall mailing list.

Thanks for the link.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( This is not a solid rule with IH though I have a 1935 F-20 that has been red since new. )</font>

I've noticed that too. I have been looking and when I would see a pre-36 I would think it would be gray. Then when I go to look it is red. Kinda frustrating. I have nothing against the red ones, but I like looking for the less common ones like the gray ones or even an albino every now and then. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Do you have any pics of your F-20? I'd love to see a couple if you have them. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ When were McCormick-Deering Farmalls gray? #8  
Ron, Do you have any pictures you could post of your past prime tractors? Was the MD 22 36 on rubber or steel?

Steve

/ When were McCormick-Deering Farmalls gray? #9  
Steve, I'd have to go find the film prints and scan them, so will be awhile. I have a ton of old prints to scan, and can add that to the list.......

The 22-36 (1929 year) was on steel. Rear had lugs and the front steel rims had like 3/4 or 1" angle iron formed to the rim and bolted on, so it "gripped" the soil.

To rig the unit to haul it home from the farm (I hired a semi with an implement trailer as it weighed 7,000 lbs), I planned to unbolt the lugs. Tried my 1/2 socket set with a huge breaker bar--no luck. Ended up having to torch the bolts off to remove the lugs. I figured nobody would haul it with the lugs on!

Enjoy,
Ron

Do you plan on putting the lugs back on at some point? The 22-36 sounds like a monster. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif