Massey 135 Diesel - Fuel Problems

/ Massey 135 Diesel - Fuel Problems #1  

msquared100

I have a fuel problem with my 135. It's always dependable but today I went to start it after it had been sitting a few months and it would turn over but never fire. It's definitely a fuel problem because I gave it a very brief shot of either and it turned over. Also, I replaced the air filter a few months ago. I noticed when I loosened the drain bolt of the fuel filter bowl that fuel shot out. Seemed like it was under pressure for some reason. Any ideas?

/ Massey 135 Diesel - Fuel Problems #2  
It sounds like you may have air in the fuel system. First, I would go through the bleeding procedure. If that doesn't help, the other possibility is there is a blockage in the fuel filter, so you could try changing the filter. If you haven't changed the filter recently, consider just changing it--you'll need to bleed the air out after that anyway.

/ Massey 135 Diesel - Fuel Problems #3  
With pressure being present in the fuel filter bowl, is there a chance the return line is plugged..??

/ Massey 135 Diesel - Fuel Problems #4  
With pressure being present in the fuel filter bowl, is there a chance the return line is plugged..??

Unlikely. If the return is clogged, the injectors might be hopelessly clogged. Fuel filter should keep that from happening. If you crack open an injector connection fuel should come out when the starter is engaged. Does the lift pump work when you operate it with the hand lever? Could be you need a new one. Do you have an operator's manual? That should tell you how to troubleshoot the fuel system. At least that's what my Fordson Super Dexta's manual does---my tractor has the same Perkins diesel as your MF.