Wico Magneto question Oliver OC3

/ Wico Magneto question Oliver OC3 #1  

moeh1

Gold Member
Tractor
B2150DT / Oliver OC-3
I have the pleasure of using an Oliver OC3 dozer once I get it running. It has been sitting for a couple years and has no spark , but the mag was rebuilt professionally not long before it sat. I've been researching Wicos and know that the points tend to corrode and also that the impulse dogs tend to stick. I tore a one cylinder mag apart 25 years ago, but I don't remember the expereince well. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Obviously the points are highly accessable and that is first on my list, but what about the impulse dogs - are they available without pulling the mag ( which means re-timing)?
Anybody got the lowdown for me? This is going to be a long distance thing on weekends, so I would rather get more info up front, rather than troubleshooting one step at a time over a few weeks duration if it turns out not to be the points.
Thanks,
Marty

/ Wico Magneto question Oliver OC3
Update,
I got a chance to review the situation this weekend. Actually had 2 problems. The points had oxidized and needed cleaning. As part of the troubleshooting process, I had removed the grounding wire, when I put it back on I found the other problem - either the the wire is shorted to the frame or the ignition switch is bad and constantly grounding the system. I'll fix that soon, but it's running /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Wico Magneto question Oliver OC3 #3  
If it is anything like the Wico mag on my Gravely the part the impulse dog sits on tends to get slighly magnitized, a little peice of thin vinle tape may do the trick.