Market for 8N and 9N

/ Market for 8N and 9N #11  
Interesting post for me, since here in upstate NY ford prices seem low...I have a cherry 9n that I have been offered up to $3,000 for - but frankly they were idiots /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif who didnt know a thing about tractors. Most that I see are $2,000 in decent running (but not restored by any means) condition. There was a guy selling a nicely re-done 8n for $3500; dont know if he ever got it.

Everytime I get tempted to sell my 9 I use it and remember how much I like it....if I were you I would keep one, and sell the other in as good condition as you can get it. Lots of people looking at Ford N's have no tractor experience, they are dreamers, so if yours is nicer and runs better than the others, they will buy.

I actually had a guy standing next to me, looking at my running 9n, ask the following questions:

Is it a diesel? (remember it was running!)
Is it 4 wheel drive? (yeah, sure.....)

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Market for 8N and 9N #12  
Yep Steve the N series have become "yuppie" tractors. People moving out of the city to a few acres and wanting a cool tractor to mow with. Sort of a dangerous situation as tractors are a lot more dangerous than riding mowers.

/ Market for 8N and 9N #13  
good morning.

just looked at a ford 8n yesterday, good tires, converted to 12 volt, started right up, no smoke, front main seal leaking about 1 qt every 6-8 acres of bush hogging(thats what he said) couldn't remember the year, but he has had it for 7 years taking care of his place, included 5' howse cutter, (pretty good shape for cutting, rear wheel bracket was bent a little, about 1") clean body work, no tach......$2500 /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

good luck,
bluebonnet2

/ Market for 8N and 9N #14  
Speaking of 8N'S. I couldn't wait to move up to a newer 4wd unit after having my 8N for 20 years. I don't miss it either. The things I miss the most are the lousy brakes, stiff clutch, hard starting, oil burning bucket of rust. It was a workhorse that did its job around the place for many years.

/ Market for 8N and 9N #15  
Steering, clutch , and brakes must have been in need of service.

For a non power steering machine.. the N, with it's oem stinny 4x19 or 5/6 x 16 tires and dual steering arms, steered just about easier than any other non-tricycle tractor of the time.

Nost sure about the clutch.. all three of my N's clutches are smooth just like a pickup truck..

Brakes.. when good.. will lock a rear tire.. even on an N.

To the original poster... What side of the engine was the alternator on?.. If on the left side.. it is a mid-late 50 or later.. if on the right side it is 47 to mid 50

Soundguy

/ Market for 8N and 9N #16  
My uncle had a 9N. Always ran great when cold. Soon as you shut it off, you could not start it again until it cooled down some. What caused that? Could never find anything obviously wrong with it. It was great in the apple orchard.

/ Market for 8N and 9N #17  
There were a few time ant heat related problems with the N. And contrary to popular belief.. vapor lock was never a big issue, on their gravity feed system.. as long as you left the fuel line in its oem position.. and without an EXTRA inline filter.

Here are some of the more common problems:
Marginal ignition switch. The switches were pretty substandard.. even by 1940's standards... they would slowly fail due to bad contacts making restive connections.. which get hot and then finally don't conduct enough to get power to the coil.. cooling helped.

Front mount ignition coil, and ballast resistor. The ignition coil wasn't really a 6v coil.. even though the sytem was setup for 6 volts. It was more of a 3.5 volt coil.. And it used a ballast resistor with thermal properties to limit current and drop voltage to the coil. When you first started the tractor, the ballast resistor was cold, and at its lowest resistance.. it allowed higher than normal voltage to the ignition coil..say in the 4+ v range. This helped with starting. In a very short time, the ballast resistor cam up to temperature, and as it did.. its resistance increased.. dropping coil voltage down to about 3 ( min 2.5 max 3.5 ).
Thie ignition coil also was not very robust, and was prone to heat failures. The heat would melt the tar-like insulative materials and short some of the windings out, reducing spark output. ( on some coils, this became a cascade problem.. more heat+ more shorted turns+more heat+more shorted turns.. which eventually stalled the engine.. After cooling a couple hourse, the turns 'un'shorted and the tractor started... made it difficult for many a shade tree mechanic to troubleshoot. The most common cause for this failure was because someone bypassed the ballast resistor. Bypassing the ballast resistor put full battery power on the coil.. providing very good hot sparks. Unfortunately.. it only takes about an hour of this to start 'cooking' the coil'.
What would have been a better idea, instead of bypassing the resistor to up sparks, would be to have done a tune up... New cap, rotor, condensor, points, and plugs and wires. For the plug wires.. use a copper core wire.. like a hotrod shop may provide.. not a modern supressor wire. The N coil output was in the low KV by our ignition standards these days. 20kv or less.. The modern supressor wires and supressor plugs further reduce this.
Stock plug was a champion H-10 or AL 216.. Many now use a champion H-12 or a AL-437, a hotter range. helps with the no-lead gas

What some people have done, is to install a bypass switch on the ballast resistor.. and hit the switch when starting to help with a slightly worn out system. There are lots of ways to implement this from.. a manual switch.. a relay tied to the starter button, or even an oil pressure sending unit used as a switch.

In short.. it it is unable to start when hot.. If you are sure it is not a fuel delivery problem... then look at the electrical system.. Measure the votlage at the top of the coil.. with key on, and points open.. should be battery volts.. with key on and points closed.. should be 3.5. If it isn't.. try jumpering the key switch.

Fuel delivery can be checked by pulling th drain plug at the bottom of the carb. It should pee a good pencil sized stream an not taper off.

Soundguy

/ Market for 8N and 9N #18  
Very good! Thanks! Some day, I would like to get another old tractor to fix up. N's are really common.