A-C "B"

/ A-C "B" #1  

upgw

Gold Member
Tractor
2001 Kubota BX2200, 2011 Hustler Super Z 31 Kawi
A-C \"B\"

Just noticed an Allis Chalmers 'B' for sale right around the corner.. this is the tractor that I/H 'copied' and then offset for the letter series (A, Super-A and later 100/130/140).. and had to pay royalties for the privledge... now if I only had a pole-barn!

- P

/ A-C "B" #2  
Re: A-C \"B\"

What? No pictures? Please?

/ A-C "B" #3  

They are fun little machines, I have two of them right now. One has a homemade loader on it and the other is pure stock but needs some work still. Best thing about them is that you can move them around by hand if they don't start when you want them to.

/ A-C "B" #4  

Tell me more about this royalties business. What did the AC-B have
that could be patented???

RJK. Sr (Richard)
West Michigan

/ A-C "B" #5  

The AC-B used a "torque tube" from the clutch to the tranny, an inegral part of the frame/chassis of the tractor. The Farmall A/B/C had the same setup, albeit a year or two later. IH paid royalties to AC for it.

It allows that slender center section, for good visibility when cultivating.

/ A-C "B"

RobertN is correct. I think sometime in '37 I/H managed to sneak a peek at the 'B' and then scurried back to reverse engineer it (so to speak). I think using the engine as as stressed member was also copied. Side by side, the general design similarities are striking, which is why I like both of course! ;-)

I'll try to get over there for some pics today, if it's still there. Maybe see what the price is... the wife is already giving me evil look though...

- Patrick

/ A-C "B"

Just stopped over the check out the "B", here's my take on it, pictures to follow later:

1950 "B"
Sign says $1350 or make offer
Looks like a manual louver control on radiator grill, no water pump or thermostat?
Has PTO and right-angle flat-belt drive, slight oil seal leak on angled drive
Two tires good, two bald
Overall looks complete and original
Has 12V battery, has generator, 12v?
Nothing else leaking
Some type of manual lift, has a tow bar, sign said some type of plow is included

/ A-C "B"

Here she is....

Attachments

• 461309-AllisB.jpg
    461309-AllisB.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 282
   / A-C "B" #9  

Make sure that genny is even doing anything. My JD-B had a 6v genny that was disconnected, and a 12v battery. Unit was magneto ignition, and they just charged up the 12v battery they slapped in it once a week to keep starting the tractor.

The other option is it may be an adjustable genny like the early fords.. and sometimes you can adjust them high enough to throw some charge in a 12v battery... that or it was actually rebuilt as a 12v genny.

Soundguy

/ A-C "B" #10  

Spent many an hour on one of those. Neat thing was you could slide down in front of the seat so you could reach the clutch.

Egon