Got a question-NH 66 square baler......

/ Got a question-NH 66 square baler...... #1  

kentuckydiesel

Silver Member
I got the square baler from a guy I work with allong with an old rake in exchange for hauling off some scrap equipment (which I got money for). Anyway, the baler has been sitting outside for years, covered in vines. I put a couple hours in it allong with a bunch of grease and oil and now I have it to the point where I can hook it up to a tractor and it will push hay through. Only thing I have left to do is load some twine and adjust the knotters where needed. The one problem I'm having with this project is the PTO shaft. Is that PTO shaft supposed to extend and compress like a regular one or is the part of the shaft under the cover the only one that moves? Thanks, Phillip BTW, there's some pics under "equipment" HERE.

/ Got a question-NH 66 square baler......
I oiled it all up, looks like the tractor side of the shaft doesn't extend/compress, just the part under the cover. I think the baler is all ready to go. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif _phillip

/ Got a question-NH 66 square baler...... #3  
The PTO shaft between the tractor and the center post on the hitch does not extend. The PTO shaft between the center post and baler flywheel does extend and contract.

Make sure you have all the PTO shields in place before operating. Those PTOs were extremely dangerous. Many a farmer was maimed or killed operating those PTO systems. Just be very careful.

Good luck with the baler. The NH 66 was not one of New Holland's stellar balers, but for the price and the challenge to get it going it should bale a couple hundred bales or more per season. The knotters can be a challenge to adjust. Make sure when you install the twine balls that you have tension on the twine from knotters to twine bin. THe twine will go through two small plates held together by a bolt with a spring. Adjust the spring to put tension on the twine.

OrangeGuy

/ Got a question-NH 66 square baler...... #4  
Sure hope you are familiar with 'baler timimg' and how to do that - get a manual. If it is out of time, the plunger will break off the needles - $70 or so each.

Yea, the 66 is the last of the old style, any newer model NH is a great baler, this one will be a bit of a challenge. But, for the price....

--->Paul

/ Got a question-NH 66 square baler...... #5  
To make you feel better, my local NH dealer has 2 New Holland 66 balers and they want $1200 for each. I think they are out of their mind but if someone pays it then I guess they aren't. Have fun out there.

/ Got a question-NH 66 square baler...... #6  
Some poor sap will see that a new one costs $11,000 and think $1200 is a steal and probably buy it. He'll do more fixing than baling. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Yea, I don't think I would have paid much for it, it's old and looks like crap, but it works so far. I put a new spring in the PTO lock pin and got the guard sliding right. It's working fine now. -Phillip

/ Got a question-NH 66 square baler...... #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Some poor sap will see that a new one costs $11,000 and think $1200 is a steal and probably buy it. He'll do more fixing than baling. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif )</font>

More fixing than baling isn't an understatement.
kentuckydiesel - That one looks in better shape than the one I help a friend bale with. If you can get your hands on another real cheap it may be worth it. A "parts" baler could come in pretty handy. Hate to have the hay down and have your baler break without spare parts.

Well, one good side of things is, the owner of that baler never had more than 5-15 acres of grass hay per year so it's not worn out at all. In fact, there is very little wear anywhere on it. -Phillip