1942 Oliver rowcrop60

/ 1942 Oliver rowcrop60 #1  

Billfrommich

Tractor
1942 Oliver Rowcrop60
Here's a pic of old ollie. He still earns his keep around here.

Attachments

• 500552-oliverside.JPG
    500552-oliverside.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 314
   / 1942 Oliver rowcrop60 #2  
Welcome, personally, I think there is no better tractor than the Olivers! The first antique I played with was an Oliver Super 55 Diesel, it has been sold a few years back, but I posted some pictures of it in my photo gallery on TBN. I'm in an area where it is still common to see old Olivers working the fields. Its always good to hear about another still working.

/ 1942 Oliver rowcrop60
Thanks for the welcome....
This must be the only Oliver in this county. My neighbors all have Farmall's and Fords with an occasional Deere thrown in for good measure. There is an old OC3 about 10 miles from here and I'm trying to buy it. That Super 55 diesel is a good tractor. I'll see if I can find the pictures....
Bill

/ 1942 Oliver rowcrop60 #4  
Bill, are you a member of the Hart Parr-Olivers Collectors Association? I just got this months magazine and it is the best issue ever. Lots of good information, parts sources, etc.

/ 1942 Oliver rowcrop60 #5  
<font color="blue"> I'm in an area where it is still common to see old Olivers working the fields. </font>

There's a farmer up the road with a couple old Olivers and even a Cockshutt! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I keep meaning to take a few pictures when I'm out that direction with my camera.

/ 1942 Oliver rowcrop60
Hi Bob.. have checked out the HP-OCA website and found it quite informative. I had a heck of a time getting the grilles and center strip for this one. I have the old side curtains for patterns but they are bent up badly. I don't really 'collect' tractors, I just like old stuff.
I've had this tractor for a few years and it's always started up and runs decent . The rear tires are fairly new too.
I had a fella offer me $800 for it this summer and turned him down. Heck..I can't get a decent riding mower for that much. Bob, I looked at the photos of your Oliver and it got me motivated to paint mine this winter. Maybe even get the curtains on and get decals too!!!!
Hi Andy...if you can get a few pictures and post them I'm sure a lot of us would appreciate it. These old Olivers will probably be working when I'm long gone.
Bill

/ 1942 Oliver rowcrop60 #7  
<font color="green"> Bob, I looked at the photos of your Oliver and it got me motivated to paint mine this winter. </font>

I never should have sold THAT tractor! It is a sentimental favorite of mine. That one had a "3 foot paint job" on it, meaning that from 3' away, everything looked perfect. But up close you could see some of the little flaws in the metal work. When I found that tractor in Arkansas it looked like a barn had fallen on the front end. The original sheet metal was either gone or badly damaged so the grille and and much of the other front end metal was rescued from other Oliver's that had lost their lives to save mine. I was lucky, the engine was sound and with the help of a new battery it fired right up every time. I replaced the front wheels & tires, when I got the Oliver, the front running grear was genuine Ford Ranger Pick Up truck! Let's just say it was far from an original looking tractor, so far from original that some previous owner painted it John Deere green & yellow because he didn't know what he had! The only obvious identifying marks were the "oliver" name cast into the engine and the serial number plate. If I only had a barn!!! Then again I am thinking of selling one of my cars because I've run out of storage room so if you know anyone who wants an Avanti Convertible with about 31,500 original miles on it . . .

/ 1942 Oliver rowcrop60 #8  
My main workhorse is an Oliver 1550. It's got a factory loader, and I use it almost everyday on my farm, including the winter. It almost never needs anything but general preventative maintenance, and I've used it to pull out neighbors modern fwd tractors out of wet spots almost evey spring!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif