What size tractor to run 5' mower/brush hog

/ What size tractor to run 5' mower/brush hog #1  

jsec

Tractor
Kubota B21
What size tractor to run 5\' mower/brush hog

I'm looking for an older (inexpensive) tractor that will be used exclusively for mowing about 20 acres of horse pasture. How large a machine, horsepowerwise, should I be looking for to run a 5' brush hog or mower? I originally started looking at 8n's but I gather they're a little too small to pull a 5'. Any advice on makes or models. Thanks.

/ What size tractor to run 5' mower/brush hog #2  
Re: What size tractor to run 5\' mower/brush hog

Before I got my Cub Cadet, I used a Woods 5' bush hog on the back of my Farmall 200. Lack of LIVE PTO was kind of a pain, but you can get used to it. Farmall is about 27 HP on the drawbar, maybe 23 on the PTO, not really sure. My brother used to mow a couple of pastures with an 8N, but always forgot where the rocks were and got himself hung up at least once a year. I didn't mind pulling him out... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ What size tractor to run 5' mower/brush hog #3  

There has been many acres bushhog with ab 8N ford, they will do fine, but no live power or live lift. You can probably buy a larger tracton, 65 hp or so for the same or less $ than a 30-35 hp, then you can do the job even faster

/ What size tractor to run 5' mower/brush hog #4  

I'm assuming your horse pasture is fairly flat. I know my 24 hp B2400 will only manage a 4' shredder, so the minimum hp you are looking at for a 5' is probably in the 27/28 hp range. We have an old JD 820 (38 hp, I think) at the farm that will handle a 5' shredder all day without a hiccup. So, for a power range to comfortably handle your mowing you are probably looking for something in the 28-38 hp range. Good hunting.

/ What size tractor to run 5' mower/brush hog #5  

I've run a 5' hog on a Ferguson TO20 for many years. As long as the blades are sharp, I have no trouble pulling it. No live PTO or lift either, but it works great anyway. I still use the hog on the TO20 instead of the LK3054 because the Kioti has a vertical stack, and I usually have the FEL on it.

/ What size tractor to run 5' mower/brush hog #6  

Hi,

An MF 35/35 or 65/165 will fit the bill nicely!!

Take care

Will

/ What size tractor to run 5' mower/brush hog #7  

Hi,

An MF 35/135 or 65/165 will fit the bill nicely!!

Take care

Will

/ What size tractor to run 5' mower/brush hog #8  

Both my ford 8n and 2n tote a 5' KK hog just fine. The N's were about 26/27 hp from the factory.

As others pointed out.. no live pto.. so you need to get an ORC. Also.. no live lift.. so you get a set of height limit chains.. cost about 27 bucks from valubilt.. or free with a few pieces of scrap chain and a welder.

Move up to the 30ish hp range.. like a NAA or hundred series and you can pull a 6' hog.

Whoever told you an 8n won't pull a 5' hog either didn't try.. or had a poor running tractor.

Soundguy

/ What size tractor to run 5' mower/brush hog #9  

I agree with soundguy. The n's do fine with a 5'. You do want an over riding clutch (ORC).

And as far as the non live lift... it's amazing what you can get used to. If I had my 8N back I would be frustrated as **** trying to use it to work with. But that's because I have been spoiled by working with a tractor that has live power. Back when I had the "N" it never seemed to be a problem!
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ What size tractor to run 5' mower/brush hog #10  

It's fairly easy to convert the 8n to a live lift. It requires an aux hyd pump to be mounted on the engine. There is an olf ford mechanic on the ytmag board that sells a kit. It is essentially a pow steering pump.. mounted on a bracket that utiliges the genny bracket.. the intake line is plumbed right out of the tractors internal sump, and the power line is plumbed into the corner test port of the hyd pump. What this gives you is live hyds any time the engine is running.. just like the NAA and hundred series. So when the clutch is in.. or the pto is off, the hyds work about as good as they normally do.. however.. with the pto on you get twice the flow rate at the hyd ram.. so faster response.. and you can add a spool valve/remote very easilly to this setup. As I remember, the setup is 300 bucks or so.

However.. that aside.. I've gotten pretty good with a set of limit chains.

Soundguy