8N vs Septic Tank

/ 8N vs Septic Tank #1  

Pooh_Bear

Platinum Member
Tractor
Early 1949 Ford 8N
Since I will be using my 8n for mowing,
I am wondering about driving over the septic tank.
I know about where the septic tank is,
and I know the 8n is fairly heavy.
Is this going to be a problem.
House is little over 1 year old. So tank is fairly new.
I don't know how deep it is buryed. Grass grows over it just fine.
It is not a home built tank. 1000 gallon I think.
Just wondering about this.

I'm gonna go nuts thinking about this stuff if the
grass don't start growing soon.

Pooh Bear

/ 8N vs Septic Tank #2  
Yikes! Better off safe than sorry. Stay off it. Chances are it will hold, but it only takes one time... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ 8N vs Septic Tank #3  
You know, I think the tank that new will be ok. What would worry me are the septic lines - the drainfield. These modern ones are built about a foot deep, and are kinda engineered to fail..... Compacting the soil doesn't allow the water to seep away.

There, now I haven't helped any at all......

--->Paul

/ 8N vs Septic Tank #4  
I had the exact conversation with the guy with the Health Department in Arkansas this morning regarding my Ford 640. Of course it would depend on the type of soil you have, but he told me for the first year, he wouldn't drive anything over it heavier than a lawn mower. And even after the first year, he would only risk it if the ground were very dry and hardpacked. He said "never" if the ground was wet at all. Our ground over there is very rocky, gravelly, and sandy.
I'm heading over in the morning to meet with surveyors. I can't wait!

/ 8N vs Septic Tank
Our ground is very hard.
We tryed to dig a small hole to plant a tree last summer.
Had a very hard time just digging a small hole.
The field lines are buried fairly deep.
The whole system has been in the ground for about 2 years.
It was one of the first things installed for the house.
I don't think I would have a problem.
But I really don't want any surprises either.
Our soil has a lot of clay in it. So it is pretty tough stuff.
Still I will be very careful around the tank area.

Pooh Bear

/ 8N vs Septic Tank #6  
I've driven my ex-NH 1920 over my tank dozens of times.. no problems.. 1920 is 3300#.. 8n is 2500-2800#

I'm guessing you will be ok.. however.. like the others said.. you never know.

For what it's worth.. My 1000# horses and 1200# cows walk on my tank too.. and there feet are smaller than a tire.. giving more PSI tot he lid... No problems in 4+ years.

Soundguy

/ 8N vs Septic Tank #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've driven my ex-NH 1920 over my tank dozens of times.. no problems.. 1920 is 3300#.. 8n is 2500-2800#)</font>

SG,
Do you drive them over the leach field also without problems?

/ 8N vs Septic Tank #8  
I think the general recommendation is to not drive anything over your leech fields. The septic tank area should be a little better but the leech field is the area of most concern.

When I bought my place the leech field was under some 6-8foot high blackberries in a location of the property that was not really expected. Needless to say we drove a Ford 2000 over it repeatedly and I drove my F250 over it a few times before realising that was where the leech field was. Everything appears to be working fine now that it's all cleared up and there is just grass on top of the field. It appears that I was lucky.

The concept of the leech field is that the water will seep out into the ground and then evaporate up through the loose soil. At least that is how I understand it.

/ 8N vs Septic Tank #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The concept of the leech field is that the water will seep out into the ground and then evaporate up through the loose soil. At least that is how I understand it. )</font>

My understanding was the water seeped out into the ground and was absorbed then dropped to the water table. I figured you'd loose some to evaporation, but I just always assumed it was more absorption. Either way, a shallow field would definitely keep the ground around it moist and somewhat softer. Interesting!