Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ford 4000; Ford 2000(both 3cyl.);JD40; 2004 Kubota L4300; 2006 Kubota B7610; new 2007 Kubota MX5000

Default Re: British Leyland

You're probably right, Bob. Same shade of blue or something [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

FWIW I found this on a box containing a waterpump rebuild kit for a 3 cylinder Ford 2000:
    "Ford Tractor Operations
    Ford Motor Company Ltd., Basildon, Essex, England"

Anyone know of a tractor plant, Leyland or Ford, in Basildon?
    Bob

Tractor
    Leyland 384

Leylands were later bought by the Marshal company and were produced under that name for a while. Never ford that Im aware of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    I'm not sure what rolled out of leylan plants other than leylands. If you look at them.. there are design differences than the fords.

Now with ford/fordsons.. there were many english made fords.. and lovely lucas electronics to go with it.

I'm not up on the british side of ford.. so I can't help you with manufacturing facilities.. except to say that I've never seen leyland info come up on my ford parts searches.. even when I was looking for british fordson parts for a super major, and a fordson dexta..

Soundguy

Tractor
    Ford 3000-Rhino 554,Co-Op ,Honda ,Gilson riding mowers

Quote Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
    Obviously not a real popular brand of tractor.......just wondering if anyone has or had one. Maybe I'am better off?

Mark
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]313077[/ATTACH Leyland/Nuffield
    My father in law ran a landscaping business and bought a 344 new in the early 70s, 55hp 4 cylinder . he just sold it to one of my friends recently ,the hour meter ran to over 9000 and its oil stays a lot cleaner than my Ford 3000 it also starts much better in the winter and runs quieter to it also had 5 forward gears and hi /lo so 10 forward 2 reverse. That tractor is every bit the equal ( in performance of JD or Ford) in its size and vintage jmo
    Thought the engine was Perkins all these years but think its marked British Motor Co.
    the Ford 2=3000s were co designed with help from Perkins from what I read in History of Ford tractors iirc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -leyland-jpg  
    Last edited by sd455dan; 04-14-2013 at 01:49 AM.

Tractor
    1941 Mccormick Deering Farmall A and 1947 Mccormick Deering W4

They were generally good tractors, with many of them still hard at work. They were never as popular as Ford or IH but still good workhorses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12