British Leyland

/ British Leyland #1  

mark777

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ym1300d-1401D-1601D , 1610D & Massey Ferguson 1020
The one that got away.

I have been looking at a British Leyland 6/42 3 cylinder diesel tractor, abandoned in a field, next to a double wide mobile. I have been looking at this tractor for the last 2 1/2 years. I have left notes on the front door....asked a neighbor, waited till night to see if anyones ever home...etc.

The tractor appears to be in very good condition with 2007 hours, loaded with chrome, tires very good and still holding air. It has 2" saplings growing out of the front axle, and now hardly visible from the street. About a 3 months ago, I went by and saw the DW mobile was gone....not the tractor. Again, I left notes with the closest neighbor, but no response.

Last week, I saw someone in front of the House, closest to the old DW site, stopped and asked, and he said it was his tractor. I expressed my interest, and we walked over to where it WAS. Owner said "Oh well, good riddance". Someone obviously pulled it out, loaded it up on a trailer, and drove away.

Broken hearted....about the one that got away. He probably would have sold it for $50.

Mark

/ British Leyland
Obviously not a real popular brand of tractor.......just wondering if anyone has or had one. Maybe I'am better off?

Mark

/ British Leyland #3  
Yeah, can't say as I've ever heard of them, but these guys have /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ British Leyland #4  
I almost bought one of those about a year ago from a junk dealer down the road that fixes up a tractor now and then to sell. Decent looking machines. Parts may be a bit hard to find.. but otherwise they look pretty decent.

Soundguy

/ British Leyland #5  
A friend's dad had one though I believe it was a gasser, used it (when it ran) to maintain his personal land fill. I am not commenting about its reliability just that it was not considered a high priority tool as we consider our tractors to be.

/ British Leyland
Thanks guys,

I'am a sucker for oddball and orphan stuff...always have been. I missed a buy on a Renault series tractor a few months ago too.

Mark

/ British Leyland #7  
Soundguy,
I was always under the impression that the three cylinder Fords from the 60's and 70's came out of a British Leyland plant. Am I wrong?
Bob

/ British Leyland #8  
I'm not sure what rolled out of leylan plants other than leylands. If you look at them.. there are design differences than the fords.

Now with ford/fordsons.. there were many english made fords.. and lovely lucas electronics to go with it.

I'm not up on the british side of ford.. so I can't help you with manufacturing facilities.. except to say that I've never seen leyland info come up on my ford parts searches.. even when I was looking for british fordson parts for a super major, and a fordson dexta..

Soundguy

/ British Leyland #9  
There was a discussion not to long ago about a Leyland tractor. They look a lot like the LONG tractors, and Long was a virtual copy of the older Ford design. I wonder if this is a case of confusing looks but nothing more than that?

/ British Leyland #10  
Saw one at an auction last week in Paris , KY. Don't know what it sold for and did not look close, but it did not look much like a Ford.
Looked to be a fair sized tractor 60-80 HP maybe ?
Ben