1954 NAA Overheating - Maybe

/ 1954 NAA Overheating - Maybe #1  

Ortis

Bronze Member
Ok, now I have brakes working, new gauges, a brake system, a fuel system that holds fuel, and an exhaust system.
I notice that the temp gauge goes to the upper half of the dial when I am mowing (6' finish mower), and the weather is pretty cool still. The guy I got it from said it overheated on him when he used as evidenced by steam coming out. (He used it only a few times).

Coolant level is good and coolant looks clean. No coolant is apparent in the oil. No obvious gas bubbles in the coolant with the engine running. The thermostat appears to be working since during warm up, the temp goes up, then down, then up and down for a bit, and then slowly climbs. I don't see a lot of obvious scale in the radiator. Maybe I don't have a problem, but... Where should the gauge normally read on an NAA?

I hope Soundguy and the others are still there.

Thanks
Ortis

/ 1954 NAA Overheating - Maybe #2  
Without a thermostat, my NAA runs cool, with it in, it runs pretty much straight up, perhaps just a tad deflefted to the right.

When I suspect cooling problems, I usually flush the radiator, and then put a garden hose in it.. I turnt he hose on.. the radiator should pass a full hose flow from the water hose out the bottom.. if not.. yer radiator is plugged.

Also, you can try running without thermostat to see what it runs at open.

Also.. keep in mind that you don't fill it to the brim, but merely fill it to cover the coils.. course.. in your case.. if it is showing hot, it isn't just expelling excess fluid.

I think for piece of mind I'd flush and test the radiator.. then perhaps repalce the thermostat, and the gauge. I know this is getting to the 50$ mark.. but it will be worth NOT overheating your engine.

do the 50% colant mix, or whatever you need for your temps. And as a sugestion, if you find that your cooling system is ok, or starting to become marginal.. use a 'water-wetter' product.. like Silo's engine cool.. helps with heat transfer..

post back if you still have problems.

Soundguy

/ 1954 NAA Overheating - Maybe
Thanks, Soundguy

By flush, do you mean with water, or with an auto-store radiator flush?