MF165 quality?

/ MF165 quality? #1  

sa1765

i've been browsing the market for a used tractor in the 50 or so hp range and the mf165 is what i keep looking for over any jd, ford, international. they seem to be priced a few dollars lower than the others when comparing the same features: diesel, decent tires, decent body. i've read several posts about the mf135 being a great tractor but have yet to read anything on here (good or bad) about the 165, is there a reason for that?

/ MF165 quality? #2  
The size of the 135 was a lot more popular. The 165 is almost the exact same tractor with better brakes.

/ MF165 quality? #3  
First let me say that I am NO expert, But I have been told that the two best tractors MASSEY ever made were the 135 & 165 , so you may be looking for a winner... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good Hunting..

/ MF165 quality? #4  
   / MF165 quality? #5  
The only problems I've seen with the 165 or any MF is with the multi power option. When these units get a lot of hours/wear they tend to leak oil from the transmission in to the clutch area. If I remember right there's a hollow shaft used for the multi power units. That's whare the oil comes by once this shaft and seals wear. Other than that the MF of that time were some real tough tractors. We ran the 135 and 150 here. The 150 has the same engine as the 135 but on a larger frame with more weight. Great tractors but always had brake problems on those models. The tractors you're looking at may not have multi-power. One other - with multi-power is you can't roll the tractor down a hill or pull it to start the engine. It will also free wheel down hill with multi-power.

/ MF165 quality? #6  
<font color="blue"> with multi-power is you can't roll the tractor down a hill or pull it to start the engine. It will also free wheel down hill with multi-power. </font>
That is only on the low side.

/ MF165 quality? #7  
On the high side it will not free wheel down a hill.

The 165 is one heck of a machine!

/ MF165 quality?
thanks for all the input, now i can chew my wife's butt for not letting me bid on one at an auction that went for $2900. it had brand new tires but he power steering was out. other than that, it just looked like a good old tractor. well i'm glad to know that i'm looking in the right direction as far as a specific model goes. i'll let you all know if i find myself a great deal.

/ MF165 quality? #9  
May I ask about parts availability? Are there companies making new parts? Or from junk yards? Thanks.

/ MF165 quality? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( In my opinion,The 165 was one of the toughest tractors MF ever made. This said, it is a little bigger tractor than most hobby farmers need mowing the yard or doing small wildlife foodplots. My brother in law has one that probably has at least 12,000 hours on it and still running fine (he did do a engine overhaul at about 9000 hrs)--Ken Sweet )</font>
How much would it cost to get engine overhaul of this kind of machine? I am looking for the same kind of machine and would like to know approximate cost of engine repair. Thanks.