Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Where do I begin.....

Default vintage

You get 10 people together and you'll get 10 opinions. 10 new people and 10 more opinions.

IN YOUR OPINION, what is vintage

1950? the 70's? What is a vintage tractor?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 6000 MWFD, 2 1950's Farmalls, 1974 Farmall 140, 1967 Mf 135Delux

Default Re: vintage

Based on the way that tractor pulls are run, "antique" is 1959 or older. Based on that, lets say Vintage would be after that for about 20 years or until '79. Just a guess based on some logic. BobG in VAl

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

I see here in florida you can get antique/vintage/collector plates for vehicles over 18 ys old. I believe tractor loengevity moves them back a ways. 1979 and older sounds good to me..

Soundguy

Tractor
    1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103

The way technology is going...1995 or older!! No, seriously, I agree...late 70s down.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    international 234

I can agree with deerefan,with the technology now days vintage may be sooner than later,I think some would say that vintage is something that is not made or designed the way it once was.
    my Dad has a lot of "vintage tractors and garden tractors" but at the same time he is reluctant to buy a tractor that was made in the " 60's" I think that me being in my late 30's and Dad being in his late 60's his vintage is will start before my vintage.

his vintage being from the 50's and my vintage from the 70's.

no matter what the years are the thing is that there was things from years past that will always be something special and that is the reason I try to get my kids involved with being around their grandparents so they have an idea what "vintage" really is,which I feel is an era that is gone and is up to people collecting the OLD IRON and keep the tractor shows going,my thanks to anybody that has anything to do with keeping the old ways going.

sorry about the long post but I'm at the age when I have lost all of my grandparents and when people of that age and that era are gone they take so much with them,and that is why is it important the kids of today know what they came from,and what we all came which is now"VINTAGE"

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    AgKing 2840 shuttle shift

In Kansas vintage vehicles are 35 years or older. My thinking is 1975 or older. My 1973 Grandville convertible won't get an antique tag for 2 more years. Nicest car on my property out of 4 road vehicles, >26,000 miles and the brand new spare is in the trunk. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Platinum Member

Around here, Vintage is an old tractor that somrone else has for sale, where-as if I have the same tractor it's really just an old tractor. I think the term " vintage" means more to some than others. That was a big help wasn't it. Later, Nat

Tractor
    Kioti DK35, Ford 8N, Oliver Cletrac

Vintage? I guess that depends on if the wine is red or white, oops wrong forum.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, and now just one YM186D

I'm not sure where my unrestored Yanmar fits in these definitions, so I describe it it as 'elderly'. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Where do I begin.....

When you reply to your own post, is that the same as "talking to yourself"? Does this constitute my being crazy? Or was that already a forgone conclusion?

Anyway....

I asked this question with my opinion already formed. I don't believe there is a set year or date when "vintage" stopped and the modern era began. It's been a gradual transition, faster with some brands, slower with others.

From all I can remember, the change began about 1960. By the late '60's, most everyone had built a few models with modern features, but these were transitional tractors. They stayed that way until the early 1980's when electronics/plastic/high tech started to take hold.

I see ANY tractor before 1960 as vintage. A select group produced from '60 to 1980 as being included. Anyhing after 1980, well, I DON'T see them as ever becoming vintage. (Not commenting on that being good or bad)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast