Power Steering Kits

/ Power Steering Kits #1  

nomad

Platinum Member
Tractor
MH744
What are opinions of vintage (Ford, John Deere, Massey Ferguson, etc) tractor owners on power steering kits? They are being sold many here and big companies in USA too are buying many from these kits. But, I have not seen discussions on these forums.

/ Power Steering Kits #2  
I know of a couple companies offering power steering retro kits for fords, but keep in mind that starting as far back as 1955, power steering was a dealer option.

Soundguy

/ Power Steering Kits
A&I, Tisco, Sparex, etc are only a few of companies who are selling tousands of these power steering kits for relatively older tractors. To which tractors they are selling these kits then? Maybe, these kits were a dealer option as far back as 1955s, but, I think these options have not been bought so many before. Now, things have changed. Farmers thinking more about their comforts.

/ Power Steering Kits #4  
Ok nomad.. what was the point of your question???

And there is no 'maybee' about it... At least for ford anyway, power steering was a dealer option in 1955.. late 54 actually, when the 600 series came out.

So.. what exactly are you asking? ( Yes.. there are other companies making many different kinds of power steering and power assist kits?? ).

Soundguy

/ Power Steering Kits #5  
My Dad had an after market power steering kit installed on his Ford Golden Jubilee a few years ago. Don't know the brand of the kit but it was installed by a Ford dealer. I think it was installed in 1983, and still works great to this day.

The addition of power steering sure made it a totally different tractor, especially with the Shawnee loader bucket full of sand.

If you have a vintage tractor that you use a lot I would say that power steering would be the best up grade you could do to the machine.

/ Power Steering Kits
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Ok nomad.. what was the point of your question???

So.. what exactly are you asking? ( Yes.. there are other companies making many different kinds of power steering and power assist kits?? ).

Soundguy )</font>

You need to read my first post again (withOUT prejudies)
My point was in the first line of my first post: "...What are opinions of vintage (Ford, John Deere, Massey Ferguson, etc) tractor owners on power steering kits?..." Just opinions. OK?

/ Power Steering Kits #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You need to read my first post again (withOUT prejudies)
My point was in the first line of my first post: "...What are opinions of vintage (Ford, John Deere, Massey Ferguson, etc) tractor owners on power steering kits?..." Just opinions. OK? )</font>

I knew it was a mistake trying to engage you in a conversation....

And I don't see any prejudice here??????

I've got tons of vintage ford and other flavor tractors setting in my pasture... And as for opinions... your first sentence didn't offer much for us to go on.. " what are our opinions on power steering kits :" How about you give us some specifics??? You want a comparison between brands.. comparison between oem and aftermarket? comparison between different oem style? mid production changes?

Comments on the kit the website in your profile sells?

( looks like a nifty kit with possibly a valve in cyl setup.. nice 5000.. perhaps one of fords best tractors... )

Soundguy

/ Power Steering Kits #8  
I have an old orbit motor type on my Ollie S77. Nice setup. Pretty spendy to buy new for an old tractor, but my uncle had a front mount 4 row cultivator on it with narrow front - the $$$ doesn't seem so much then. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've seen a few tractors with a conversion like nomad has on them at an auction sale. I was not at all impressed with the sturdiness of those type. Now, it can easily be a different brand, or a poor install by the local owner, but the ps units just looked real cheap & ready to break.

--->Paul

/ Power Steering Kits #9  
I think the weakest (looking) part of that kit is the valve on the cyl that is actuated by the draglink.. the pump and actual steering cyl look ok, and similar to some I have seen on other fords and fordsons.

Soundguy

/ Power Steering Kits #10  
Was at an auction today and say a ford ( 4000? ) with that kind of pow steering setup.. looke dok.. again.. looke dlike valve was the weak link. The owner had done some custom welding and fitting ont he valve.. making a stop, etc.. i assume to prevent oversteering.. or out of range motion.. etc..

Soundguy