53' Jubilee Value

/ 53' Jubilee Value #1  

TillerofdaEarth

Silver Member
Tractor
2005 Montana 5740 w FEL
53\' Jubilee Value

This tractor was bought new by a construction company building a grain elevator near my home town in western Nebraska.. Near the end of the project they broke a front spindle and rather than mess with repairing it, they sold it to my Grandpa, who happened to be in the right place at the right time. Tractor has been in the family ever since.

Dad had a stroke back in September, and so we are organizing a farm sale. Dad always said he wanted me to have this tractor but never got around to making out his will...hence the auction.

I am interested in knowing what a good price for this tractor would be. If the bid went hi enough I would probably let it go at auction. If not I will buy it back.

This tractor was in a Ford shop back in the late 80's for a rear end rebuild, new clutch and brakes. Had a power steering unit put in and got the blue and grey paint job. It has seen limited duty since then, mostly brush hogging. Tractor still runs great.

I can't for the life of me remember the loader brand, but is a heavy duty one and really to much for the tractor. We broke about 3 or 4 spindles that I can remember..... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I am at a crossroads of wether to sell, or keep it. What would you guys do?

Any and all comments or advice appreciated.

Thanks, Brian.

Attachments

• 867296-Tractor (2).jpg
    867296-Tractor (2).jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 288
   / 53' Jubilee Value #2  
Re: 53\' Jubilee Value

Brian,

Had something similar that might help ya out!

When Grandpa died WITHOUT a will, estate law required that everything on the farm be liquidated (auctioned). Grandpa had a way worn out Ford 881 w/ FEL.

I sorta wanted the tractor, but moreover, wanted the estate to keep it to prepare for the sale and to clean up the place after the sale.

Mom approached the estate lawyer and said "hey we want to keep the tractor/FEL until after the sale to clean the place up following the sale". He responded, "Well, have Ron buy it from the estate. Family members can buy anything for 75% of the appraised value prior to the auction".

So, they had it appraised for $4k, I wrote them a check for $3K, kept it on the farm til after the sale, then brought it home. I also sent a ltr to the estate stating I would leave it at the farm following the sale for 90 days, and the estate would pay for any repairs required during that time (mainly for tire damage that might occur running over stuff).

I brought it home, used it two years, then sold it for $3500.

I'd investigate to see if family can buy early. Maybe you can submit sealed bids on stuff early and buy it that way??

If you have any place to use it, if nothing else, try to buy it now, use it awhile, and you can always sell it later and not lose anything. I'd be nervous trying to buy it at auction--it might go for double it's value........................

Hope this helps.

ron

/ 53' Jubilee Value #3  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( had a way worn out Ford 881 w/ FEL......Family members can buy anything for 75% of the appraised value prior to the auction"..So, they had it appraised for $4k, I wrote them a check for $3K, )</font>

Yikes.. a worn out tractor with an SOS trannie. Around here, that would have been a 2000$ item at -BEST-. SOS trannies tend to devalue ford tractors by 25%-50% due to repair issues. Add to that it was a worn tractor.. etc.

To the original poster: Good running NAA go in the 2000-3500, depending on options.... The loader, as a tool, helps the value.. even though it tends to stress the front end. Power steering is a nice addition. Rest of the price will depend on tin, and rubber, and any other issues needing repair, or options adding value.. like original manual, tools, dealer add ons.. oem toplink.. grease gun holder.. condition of tool box, type of pto shaft , presence of an aux trannie, and leaks and that sort of thing.

Soundguy

/ 53' Jubilee Value #4  

Soundguy,

Yep the tractor was pretty rough. Prior to buying it, I stopped by the local Ford Tractor repair shop and asked "How much to rebuild that tranny if it goes out?" Answer was it wasn't worth it!

Grandpa didn't know what maintenance was! Many times, I'd check the oil in stuff while waiting for people to get ready to go do something. Invariably, everthing I check was OUT of oil. His pickup didn't register a drop on the dipstick one time I checked it!

One time, when I found his pickup low of oil (and it was < 5 yrs old), he limped off to get some "oil". He came back with a mason jar of something VERY THICK (it was fresh oil). From the looks, I asked "Isn't that oil for your JD 4400?" Well, he thought it might be................ I asked him to see if he could find some 10W40 or similar. Twenty minutes later, he found 3 qts of something closer...........

The 881 barely showed oil pressure when started, and ZERO while warmed up. I replaced the oil pump, but it still never had much oil pressure.

The PS barely worked. And everything on the tractor LEAKED, including the FEL.

The guy I sold it to had another ford with a good engine and no loader. I think he was oging to build one good one from the two.

I never had trouble with the tranny. It sure was fun to move snow with! I had a 7ft rear blade. When I did our church parking lot, I'd be up in 7th gear just a hauling! The tires weren't too good on this, and it wasn't weighted, so it was pretty loose on the snow..............

Have fun,
ron

/ 53' Jubilee Value

Hi Ron,

I talked with other siblings and reached an agreement with them, so will see how things turn out. I wouldn't mind having this Jubilee for a fixer upper project and second tractor. Shoot, can't have to many tractors anyway.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> "hey we want to keep the tractor/FEL until after the sale to clean the place up following the sale". </font> )</font>

That is a good idea Ron. None of us thought of that.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Always good to have a clean up rig around after the sale.

/ 53' Jubilee Value

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> and leaks and that sort of thing </font> )</font>

Has a leaking left axle seal. What kind of a job is it to change a seal?

/ 53' Jubilee Value #7  

If you've reached an agreement with the sibs, I'd still send a ltr to each of them stating what you think you've agreed to.

Dealing with estate stuff is always the WORST time and tends to bring out the worst in people.

If you can document your agreement, even if you don't ask them to sign up to it, might keep hard feelings from happening later.

Heck, you could offer to split any profit you make on the unit (minus your restoration costs) with them if/when you sell it.

Hope it works out well for you.

Ron

/ 53' Jubilee Value #8  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Has a leaking left axle seal. What kind of a job is it to change a seal? )</font>

Just pulling tire/rim, hub, axle and trumpet to repalce inner and outter seal... check bearings...reshim / preload reattach and go..

Soundguy