Ford 801 Stalling problem

/ Ford 801 Stalling problem #1  

Beamer63

Tractor
Ford 2000 1969
I have a 1963 Ford 801 Powermaster. It likes to stall when it gets hot. I am thinking vapor lock but am not sure. If it is I am trying to figure out a way to fix it. The gas line does run directly next to the engine. Any help would be appreciated.

/ Ford 801 Stalling problem
I have a 1963 Ford 801 Powermaster. It likes to stall when it gets hot. I am thinking vapor lock but am not sure. If it is I am trying to figure out a way to fix it. The gas line does run directly next to the engine. Any help would be appreciated.

/ Ford 801 Stalling problem #3  
Next time it stalls, pull the plug on the carb bowl and see if there is fuel. Also check spark.

Might be tank vacume too.

Soundguy

/ Ford 801 Stalling problem #4  
Next time it stalls, pull the plug on the carb bowl and see if there is fuel. Also check spark.

Might be tank vacume too.

Soundguy

/ Ford 801 Stalling problem #5  
Do as Soundguy says, crack carb bowl drain, if no fuel, crack fuel tank cap, listen for pressuer sound, that could be vaporlock.Also ck sediment bowl an d screen and strainer in fuel tank tap for being plugged. If problem is no spark, could be coil or condensor gone bad. Will tractor readily restart or does it need to set. Does problem occur more in hot weather,under heavy load and low tank fuel level,these conditions favor vaporlock/fuel "boiling" in Fords of this vintage.Is the guard between the muffler and fuel tank intact,and is fuel line run above this guard? If vapor lock is a persistant problem you mauy need to reroute fuel line and extend it out a little further from the muffler. HTH JK

/ Ford 801 Stalling problem #6  
Do as Soundguy says, crack carb bowl drain, if no fuel, crack fuel tank cap, listen for pressuer sound, that could be vaporlock.Also ck sediment bowl an d screen and strainer in fuel tank tap for being plugged. If problem is no spark, could be coil or condensor gone bad. Will tractor readily restart or does it need to set. Does problem occur more in hot weather,under heavy load and low tank fuel level,these conditions favor vaporlock/fuel "boiling" in Fords of this vintage.Is the guard between the muffler and fuel tank intact,and is fuel line run above this guard? If vapor lock is a persistant problem you mauy need to reroute fuel line and extend it out a little further from the muffler. HTH JK

/ Ford 801 Stalling problem #7  
Mine has starting doing the same thing, you can open the fuel screening bowl and gas will pour in and it will start right back up but after a few minutes its like it is running out of gas and stalls. Just rebuilt the carb on it. What are the intitial settings for the carb? Does anyone know? I really enjoy using my tractor and have lots of work to do but this has put everything on hold. :-(

/ Ford 801 Stalling problem #8  
I usually snug them up and back 'em out about 1 1/2 turns.

I struggled with my 800 for a long time, going as far as taking the screen out and replacing the fuel line. Finally, I put a little air to the fuel line to blow it out and sure enough, there must have been something (possibly the o-ring) blocking the shut-off valve. I eventually pulled the tank and replaced the whole valve/screen.

Cleaning the air filter and oiling it properly also helps.

/ Ford 801 Stalling problem #9  
I have the same problem with my 841. I rebuilt the carb and it still does it. When mine shuts down there is no fuel in the float bowl. If I tap on the carb with a hammer handle, then it works again. I am 99% sure the problem is a sticking float. I just don't know how to fix it. The float moves fine. It doesn't leak. It's adjusted properly. I even put grease on the carb body and installed the float and rattled it around to make sure it didn't contact any where. I am at a loss on this thing.

Not to hijack, but maybe we have the same problem.

/ Ford 801 Stalling problem #10  
if the float itself ain't hanging, but it goes dry, and a rap fixes it, then you KNOW the needle is hanging.

might be a bit of grit, or varnish..