propane tractor

/ propane tractor #1  

jimg

Veteran Member
Ive seen a number of LP tractors at the pulls and for sale and wondered how well the tanks hold up. Since theyre pressure vessels it seems prudent to have them inspected for leaks and what not. First, would you consider purchasing an LP tractor? If so would you inspect the tank and if so what would you look for?

Since LP tank connection was recently changed is filling a tractor going to be a problem? From my 20# tank I know of 2 possible connector configurations (on the tank): male RH sort of large Acme thread and female LH pipe(?) thread. The older and obsolete thread was male LH pipe(?) thread. Im sure thats what the tractor tank would have. Perhaps theres an adapter that could be fitted to it??

/ propane tractor #2  
Not sure about the fitting issues, but a visit to the local farm co-op that sells farmers LP should get you a good answer.

One uncle used to farm with LP tractors. The thing that amazed me was that you could run the tractors (about 60HP) for several hundred hours and the oil was as clean as the day you installed it.

I've heard they have less HP than diesel, but engine longevity is a postive.

Ron

/ propane tractor #3  
We still have a couple of LP JD 2 cyl's that we use on occasion. I fill them from our 500 gallon tank's wet line. I managed to buy enough fittings to allow me to fill the tractors and all of the different style bottles I have on the place. The JD tanks use the same thread that is on the delivery truck for filling residential tanks.
Oil and engine life? We have one JD that only gets the oil changed when it gets milky from rain water seeping through the exhaust gasket leak.

/ propane tractor
RonR: I have a feeling its as hudr said...most farmers fill out of their bulk tank and not the coop's. Ill make some inquiries though and see what the coops can provide. If I wind up w/ an LP machine its not like Im going to be filling it often. My closest filling station (Shell) sells LP and thats where I get my 20# tank filled. Im fairly sure if they dont have the correct sonnector to fit the tractors tank theyll not fill it at all.

If Im reading the Nebraska testing correctly there are many times the LP mdl out performed the diesel mdl. I dont know how realistic the testing is but... I got my infos from tractordata.com.

hudr: Hmmm...thats a good bit of info (truck threads directly fitting the tractors tank.

After some thought Im sure the seller would be able to give info about filling the tank. Thats probably my best source in that regard.

However, theres still the issue of tank integrity esp if the machine wasnt stored inside. If the tank is bad or marginal Im not sure how easy it would be to get another. I suspect repair and recert would be expensive.

/ propane tractor #5  
Don't know of parts sources. Just a thought for what it's worth. Some of the factory propane tractors had a higher compression ratio to get the most from the 100+ octane propane. Don't know if that applies to the Case. Might be worth a little research. Don't want to blow the engine from preignition detonation due to compression ratio being too high for 87 octane gasoline.