B-Allis

/ B-Allis #1  

Nat

Platinum Member
Here is a pic of the current old iron I'm working on. It is a 1951 Allis Chalmbers B. It origionally came with an Allis Hitch. They called this the "family" tractor. I think it was because it took a whole family to put the cultivators on it. I converted it to a 3PH. I used as much origional stuff as possible and all of it will bolt on so it can be made origional if someone wanted to. I used the hydraulic clyinder from a CA Allis instead of the one that came on it as it was too weak and to fast. I used the factory rock shaft and made the lift arms. I used a seat and spring from a WC Allis to get rid of the old wide seat and to make it easier to get off and on. This had the added bonus of giving me more room to position the clyinder where it needed to be. I have the body and hitch painted, the sheet metal is still straight after 55 years but will be painted and re-installed.
The last pic is of the wheels. They have been repainted with Rustoleum brand "hammered silver". It looks the most like the factory galvinizing that I have found

Attachments

• Picture 155.jpg
    Picture 155.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 329
  • Picture 156.jpg
    Picture 156.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 301
  • Picture 158.jpg
    Picture 158.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 291
   / B-Allis #2  
I can't wait to see it all together and running.
You must feel the same way.
Jim

/ B-Allis #3  
Afternoon Nat,
Looks real good so far !!! I like the 3pt setup ! Looking foward to the sheet metal all painted along with the decals of course ;) :)

/ B-Allis #4  
It looks really nice. Does this hand crank? I looked at one of these but was worried I'd break my arm on the crank.

/ B-Allis #5  
Evening Nat.
Looks like your going to have head turner when all is said and done...yeah I am jealous :)...do keep us updated.

/ B-Allis #6  
I've spent many an hour on one of those when they were new. Had a different seat though.
Ours hand cranked. Exspecially in the winter!:D

/ B-Allis
Egon, this one is elect start, and has been converted to 12 Volt. I have the wide seat that came on it, but it interfered with making the rockshaft work properly for the 3PH. I actually moved the rockshaft forward 4" to make the angle of the lift arms work so the factory wide seat had to go. It has helped the on and off access a bunch, them things were a pain in the azz to get on and having the pan seat gives you somewhere to put your feet when mounting the old girl. I also have the origional cultivators, which will be modified to 3PH. I did some measuring and it won't be any trouble to make them work on the rear, so that will follow the paint and decals.
My birthday was the end of August and my MIL and FIL always give me a 25.00 check. I never know what to get with it, cause I know they want it spent for something, so this year I bought the decal set with it. When I told them what they had bought me for my birthday they looked at me like a nut, but that is normal. So, I had the decals for a while now. They should be going on next week. Later, Nat

/ B-Allis #8  
Ours did have an electric starter but batteries what they were back then and cold weather made for hand cranking. :D

/ B-Allis
Well here she in in her clothes this time. I have it painted and put back together. The most agrevating thing of the whole job was getting the fuel line threaded back. It dripped some gas from the settling bowl so I had ordered a new one when I ordered the decals. After painting the tank I installed the new settling bowl/shut off and then put the carb back on. It had a steel tube gas line, so I put the line on the carb first, then went to the shutoff. I messed with it for over an hour thinking I didn't have the new bowl turned right or something. I took it off from the carb and tried it 20 different ways before finnally getting an old barb fitting from one of my boxes of parts and it threaded right in. Long story short the threads were different so I now have a rubber gas line.
The second pic is the front. Don't laugh at the front tires. I have 2 new 5.00 x 15 tires coming and didn't want to paint the wheels and then scratch them up putting the new tires on so I'll paint them latter. Nat

Attachments

• Picture 159.jpg
    Picture 159.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 274
  • Picture 161.jpg
    Picture 161.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 222
   / B-Allis
Here you can see the landscape rake I built a while back on it. The 3PH works good, and the little tractor steers like a go cart, it's only 2 turns lock to lock.
The next pic shows how I had to re-configure the seat and the lift cyl to make the 3PH. I put the angle piece across to anchor the top link, so it made a good spot to mount the lift lever.
It is amazing that a 55 year old tractor still had that straight of a grill. I fixed 3 little dents smaller than a quarter in the nose, but the grill needed only wire brushing. Hope someone enjoyed seeing the process, later, Nat

Attachments

• Picture 160.jpg
    Picture 160.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 235
  • Picture 163.jpg
    Picture 163.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 228
  • Picture 162.jpg
    Picture 162.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 237