Ford 3000 Cylinder Sleeves?

/ Ford 3000 Cylinder Sleeves? #1  

Griffin

Bronze Member
Tractor
'72 Ford 3000
I have a '72 Ford 3000 diesel. I've had it a couple of years and she has gotten hard to start (requires a couple of shots of ether), smokes like ****, and now I can hear a knocking noise. This is my first diesel, but it sounds like she is due for a major rebuild. My question is, does the 3000 have cylinder sleeves? How much of a challenge would it be to rebuild myself at home vs. taking to a repair shop. I've done a few engine swaps on cars but nothing on tractors.

Any other tips would be welcome.

Griff

/ Ford 3000 Cylinder Sleeves? #2  
Yes, this engine has cylinder sleeves. You can get a rebuild kit from New Holland that contains gaskets, pistons, sleeves, connecting rod bushings, valve springs, etc., as well as aftermarket kits from a wide number of sources. If you're mechanically inclined, and have the proper tools, it's not too bad of a rebuild. You can also just get the basic parts needed if you want to go that route. My philosophy is do it all while you've got it open, but it's your money and time. Kit numbers vary with production year.

/ Ford 3000 Cylinder Sleeves? #3  
I'm sorry, but I think someone is mistaken about this Ford 3000. Last I checked, the Ford 3000 does not use liners/sleeves. The cylinder block is the bore/sleeve, like in a gas engine (ie 350 Chev, 302 Ford). In order to "renew" the bore back to standard, it has to be machined out and 're-sleeved' by a machine shop or bored out to the next sized piston. It is not like a John Deere engine where you can pop the liner out and drop in a new assembly to return to standard.

Why do I know? I just redid my '68 Ford 3000 (diesel) powered grape harvester and it's engine is NOT lined. If it were, the badly scored cylinder would have been popped out vs replacing w/ rebuilt engine.

If you want to know more about your 3000, pick up an IT shop manual. It goes into detail about rebuilds and the 'sleeves' that are available for them.

If you've rebuilt vehical engines, then rebuilding a diesel should be no problem.

OH, is your cold start system working? Ford's version of the "glow plug"? The 3000 is one of the 'low compression' engines, so cold starting is usually a dog.

/ Ford 3000 Cylinder Sleeves?
This why I ask. Two responses, two different answers. And this is not the first time. I have had conflicting answers from different shops I've talked to.

I have one shop that said they would rebuild; replace sleeves, pistons, rings, bearings, turn crank, and have the heads reworked, including labor, all for $3000. They would also replace my clutch for the cost of the parts since they are already in there. If I can save 30-50% by doing it myself I will, but if not, it goes to the shop.

Kaliburz, I read your thread about the rebuild on your grape picker. Quite a machine, and undertaking, considering the height factor.

/ Ford 3000 Cylinder Sleeves? #5  
Here's the kicker.. everybody is right... kinda.

When the 3000's rolled out the factory, it was a parent bore block.. I.E., no liners.. pistons ran bare.

Now.. problem.. how do you renew a bare block with a worn bore? You bore oversize and reline. Here's where the confision comes in.

Stock 3000 has no liners. CNH sells liners as 'service only' as per the master parts catalog. Here's the word for word descrip out of the MPC i just pulle dup on my Ford cd.

For GAS (petrol) and LPG engines and Diesel engines

part # C5NN6055A

SLEEVE, BLOCK, SERVICE ONLY, 4.2 BORE - 4.1 ID X 4.32 OD 2000-3000 1-1-65 START YEAR

dIESEL ENGINES

PART # DONN6055A

4.4" 111.76MM USE WITH BLOCKS BORED TO 4.2" ID X 4.4 OD 2000-3000 1-1-65 START YEAR

That's what gets everybody.. Ford sold an unsleaved tractor.. but then sold repair sleaves. IMHO.. I think they should just have sold the blocks sleave ready and sold it with sleaves... etc.

Add to this that sometime in past history, a machine shop may have custom bore'd and sleaved the machine...

That help any.

Soundguy

Griffin said:
This why I ask. Two responses, two different answers. And this is not the first time. I have had conflicting answers from different shops I've talked to.

I have one shop that said they would rebuild; replace sleeves, pistons, rings, bearings, turn crank, and have the heads reworked, including labor, all for $3000. They would also replace my clutch for the cost of the parts since they are already in there. If I can save 30-50% by doing it myself I will, but if not, it goes to the shop.

Kaliburz, I read your thread about the rebuild on your grape picker. Quite a machine, and undertaking, considering the height factor.

Soundguy, that sheds a lot of light on the conflicting reports. I guess I won't know what I've got untill I get inside and see if the engine has already been bored and sleeved. If it hasn't, it sounds like the block will have to be machined. Since the shop that quoted me $3000 for the rebuild were of the opinion that the block is sleeved, the price will surely go up to cover the machining cost. Any idea how much to bore this block?

/ Ford 3000 Cylinder Sleeves? #7  
Not sure.. but why not get a guarantee on that quote. It's not your fault that they are 'assuming' that the block is already sleaved... especially since all they had to do was consult the MPC like I just did.

Soundguy

/ Ford 3000 Cylinder Sleeves? #8  
Griffin,

Around these parts, to "punch" an engine and sleeve is around $150 to 200 per hole. Once someone said $100-150, but it was their own shop, no employee to pay.

I've seen that description also on the parts list I have for my 3000. Liners and sleeves are sold to "renew". A machien shop is still needed. They're not the type where the entire "hole" is replaced. I'm use to the liners that are exposed to the coolent jacket. Quite easy to confuse.....

The shop that worked on my SOS, they're fulley equipped to do engines. They have the bore machine, a crank machine, valve, etc. They quoted $3500 to do the rebuild. The factory recon engine (bigger too) was right about 5K (not counting the core charge). But ya know the "mess" I had w/ that harvester.....

One kinda gets use to the hight after being up there a few times. Ya just know where to put your feet and not think about the landing if things go bad.....

Oh, what ever you decide, take some project pics! I think the folks around here LOVE project pics!

Soundguy: That's a good idea about getting the quote in writing, CYA.

Kaliburz: I sure will take pics once the project starts. Your thread had a blow by blow every step of the way. Very helpfull and informative.

I don't know for sure when things will kick off. I still have a lot of research to do. But I will update as things move forward.

Thanks to all.

Do they make a video showing how to rebuild a Ford 3000 diesel motor? I've seen them available for the 9n, JD, ....

Griff