Gotta a nice vintage offset disc to use with the MF-135

/ Gotta a nice vintage offset disc to use with the MF-135 #1  

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
A few weeks ago my neighbor dragged this pull disc over to my place. It measures about 6-ft between the outer discs. Has disc scrapers too.

Looks to be in pretty good condition considering it hasn't been used in over 10 years. Not a lot of rust. Hope a little Liquid Wrench and some grease will get it going.

Trying to figure out why the hitch bar is installed at an angle in the first photo. May have to do with the hitch tongue being offset from its center position.

Don't know the manufacturer. Could be IH. Any help here is appreciated.

Don't know if the 1966 MF-135 will be able to pull it with only about 35hp on the drawbar, assuming that the Perkins diesel still has decent compression so the engine meets its hp specs.

I'll find out soon enough after I finish rewiring, servicing and repainting the 135.

Ain't vintage stuff fun!!!!!

Attachments

• DSCF0063-small.JPG
    DSCF0063-small.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 550
  • DSCF0064-small.JPG
    DSCF0064-small.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 383
  • DSCF0065-small.JPG
    DSCF0065-small.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 357
  • DSCF0066-small.JPG
    DSCF0066-small.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 318
   / Gotta a nice vintage offset disc to use with the MF-135 #2  
Should be able to pull two of them with MF.

mark

/ Gotta a nice vintage offset disc to use with the MF-135 #3  
Nice find.

I notice that the hitch bar is bolted to the top of one bracket and the bottom of the other to achieve this top to bottom angle.

SOundguy

/ Gotta a nice vintage offset disc to use with the MF-135 #4  
Dang....

I've seen similar around here.... usually rusting way in a section of un-farmed land.

/ Gotta a nice vintage offset disc to use with the MF-135 #5  
Flusher,

You've got the big part of making a nice 3PH mounted disk from that thing.

Just figure out the best geometry and do some measurements on a 3PH disk. A little iron and some welding rod, and you'll have a lot nicer disk.

ron

/ Gotta a nice vintage offset disc to use with the MF-135 #6  
RonR said:
Flusher,

You've got the big part of making a nice 3PH mounted disk from that thing.

Just figure out the best geometry and do some measurements on a 3PH disk. A little iron and some welding rod, and you'll have a lot nicer disk.

ron

In some ways, it may be better. But all in all, that old style "pull type" disc has it's place too. They flex with irregularities in the ground much better than most mounted disc's will. Very few 3-point disc's will have built in flex capabilities. Also, by the nature of the job they were intended for, offset disc's are usually HEAVY. If not, they need weight added to get them heavy. With enough weight, and the disc frame extended that far back from the tractor itself, it would be a handfull for most smaller tractors.

Pull-type disc's hung on longer than you would think after hydraulics came to be common on tractors because of the great performance you'd get with them. Unless I had a need for a "transportable" disc, I'd be temted to just leave it un-modified.

But what fun is THAT?

/ Gotta a nice vintage offset disc to use with the MF-135
Farmwithjunk said:
In some ways, it may be better. But all in all, that old style "pull type" disc has it's place too. They flex with irregularities in the ground much better than most mounted disc's will. Very few 3-point disc's will have built in flex capabilities. Also, by the nature of the job they were intended for, offset disc's are usually HEAVY. If not, they need weight added to get them heavy. With enough weight, and the disc frame extended that far back from the tractor itself, it would be a handfull for most smaller tractors.

Pull-type disc's hung on longer than you would think after hydraulics came to be common on tractors because of the great performance you'd get with them. Unless I had a need for a "transportable" disc, I'd be temted to just leave it un-modified.

But what fun is THAT?

I got the disc from my next door neighbor. He has a nice JD2640 with a big FEL. He just chained the disc to the FEL and carried it over to my place instead of dragging it to keep from messing up the pavement between our places.

Since I don't need to transport the disc off my field, I'll use it as a pull disc. Now I need to figure out how that contraption works.

/ Gotta a nice vintage offset disc to use with the MF-135 #8  
I looked at a similar disc recently, a Towner, that someone had butchered so bad I think it was unrepairable. First it had 3-point mounts welded on square to the front crossmember, but that obviously made the front gang roll straight ahead like wheels. Then the butcher added an extension to move one of the 3-point pins forward a foot but I doubt that helped much. It looked like he must have run it with unequal-length 3 point arms on the tractor.

I wouldn't modify that until you have a season of experience with it - I expect you will conclude the mfr got it right the first time.

/ Gotta a nice vintage offset disc to use with the MF-135 #9  
Those blades on the front gange (right side when seated on tractor pulling) looks really, really worn.

It seems simple enough. The two gangs probably form a V shape at the left or they pivot so that the rear gang shifts to the right a bit. That one bar on the left looks like it adjusts the bite of the back (different notches). Has to be a lock/release somewhere. That's just what I think..... could be 1000% off for I know.....

Have fun w/ it. Don't forget the grease!!!!

/ Gotta a nice vintage offset disc to use with the MF-135 #10  
I would not alter this machine to a 3PH, in most situations you will find it more
convenient as it is. Quicker and easier to attach to your tractor as well.