36 years ago...

/ 36 years ago... #21  
Farmwithjunk said:
Not that cheap.... MSRP was $4100 roughly. I paid $3750 delivered to the farm along with an assortment of filters and a hat. A 150 diesel in average condition sells for around $6000 here now. Doubtful you could get this one for double that.

FWJ: excellent job. Hope my MF-135 refurbishment turns out half as nice as your 150.

That $3750 (1971 dollars) is worth about $15,000 in today's money.

/ 36 years ago...
flusher said:
FWJ: excellent job. Hope my MF-135 refurbishment turns out half as nice as your 150.

That $3750 (1971 dollars) is worth about $15,000 in today's money.

And a shiney NEW Massey Ferguson 533 sells for around $15,000 in todays money. It's the closest thing to compare to. I'll still take what I got with the '71 bucks.

Oh yeah, thanks!

Here's what she looked like just before the paint started flying. 2 days after this picture, it was dismantled for the better part of 2 months. Entire job, 16 months to date. (and not entirely finished.)

Attachments

• masseyclean.JPG
    masseyclean.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 463
   / 36 years ago... #23  
She looked darn good before you started, better now tho.

/ 36 years ago... #24  
Wow, what a great job. I agree with Bird, change your "handle" name.

I hope you have a bead blaster or something like it to help remove all the old paint from all the small parts...whew...

My mother bought a brand new FORD Pinto in 1971 for $2500. What a hunk of junk. I doubt it looks as good as your Massey now. It's probably been melted down to make jinma's with it by now.

/ 36 years ago...
Kyle_in_Tex said:
Wow, what a great job. I agree with Bird, change your "handle" name.

I hope you have a bead blaster or something like it to help remove all the old paint from all the small parts...whew...

My mother bought a brand new FORD Pinto in 1971 for $2500. What a hunk of junk. I doubt it looks as good as your Massey now. It's probably been melted down to make jinma's with it by now.

I'm considering a name change. On another site I frequent, someone already had the same (simular) username (Farm w/ junk) so I started using a new name that describes what obsessive restorations on an old Massey can do to your checkbook. MF Poor. May switch here someday.

No bead blaster. I've got a couple different SAND blasters, but don't use them too often. I use wire brush, wire wheel/angle grinder, paint scraper, sharpened screwdriver, air gun, sand paper, paint solvent, ect. Next project in line is a rust ball. May have to invest in a bead blaster cabinet before hand.

Just a few months prior to buying the Massey, I bought a new 1970 Chevy C20 pick-em-up truck. It's sitting out behind the barn over at my sons place.. Remove all the rust on that mess and you'll have 4 old tires left over.

/ 36 years ago... #27  
I know this is an old thread. But I thought I would post anyway.

You did a great Job on that tractor. :thumbsup: Fantastic restore.

Chad

/ 36 years ago...
I know this is an old thread. But I thought I would post anyway.

You did a great Job on that tractor. :thumbsup: Fantastic restore.

Chad

Wow....

Here it tis again, age 40 now.

I should have bought TWO of 'em! I'm that pleased with it.

Thanks,
Bill

Attachments

• 40X150years 002.jpg
    40X150years 002.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 368
  • 40X150years 005.jpg
    40X150years 005.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 303
  • 40X150years 011.jpg
    40X150years 011.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 273
   / 36 years ago... #29  
That sure is handsome :thumbsup:

JB

/ 36 years ago... #30  
Very nice job on the restoration! I hope to achieve the same results someday. Altogether, how many hours would you estimate it took you to get from the before to the after?