Tractor
    2011 LS R3039

Default Re: 36 years ago...

Great job, looks new.

Tractor
    Where do I begin.....

Quote Originally Posted by MasseyWV View Post
    Very nice job on the restoration! I hope to achieve the same results someday. Altogether, how many hours would you estimate it took you to get from the before to the after?
    Wow...Old post revived.

It's now approaching "41 years ago"....

I started with a "before" that was in excellent mechanical condition. That cuts off a number of steps in a typical restoration. The entire process was an ongoing project that lasted for over a year. The lions share was done in a couple months during the winter/spring of '06. Done right, even with the tractor being used just as it had in the past, a good refurbishing will hold up just like a NEW tractor's paint/overall condition. There's a little paint wear around hand holds on fenders, on the pedals and running boards, and on some of the 3-point hitch, but in general, she still looks good today, after 700+ hours of additional use. Just a wild guess on my part, but I probably spent roughly 250 to 300 hours of fussing and fiddling with the 150 to get it "right".
    There are three kinds of men;
    1.) The ones that learn by reading
    2.) The few who learn by observation
    3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Elite Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Farmwithjunk View Post
    Wow...Old post revived.

It's now approaching "41 years ago"....

I started with a "before" that was in excellent mechanical condition. That cuts off a number of steps in a typical restoration. The entire process was an ongoing project that lasted for over a year. The lions share was done in a couple months during the winter/spring of '06. Done right, even with the tractor being used just as it had in the past, a good refurbishing will hold up just like a NEW tractor's paint/overall condition. There's a little paint wear around hand holds on fenders, on the pedals and running boards, and on some of the 3-point hitch, but in general, she still looks good today, after 700+ hours of additional use. Just a wild guess on my part, but I probably spent roughly 250 to 300 hours of fussing and fiddling with the 150 to get it "right".
    I noticed that the "before" appeared to have been well cared for, albeit used as a tractor should be. I'm quickly learning that I will be very fortunate if I can find one that even comes close to approaching that kind of condition to use as a starting point for a full restoration project.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

well cared for originals, with use, make some of the best restorations.

I have a ford 4000 4 cyl from 63.. it was wearing original tires and paint when I got it.

it had usual character marks.. but had been maintained pretty good.

it made a very nice restoration..

I love those pics FWJ posted. VERY nice work!

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4020

Looks good!

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

I realize that this is a revived post, but I wasn't a member of TBN when you first posted. I wish to take the time now to compliment you on your restoration project. Well done.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Tractor
    NA

FWJ,
    I just purchased an MF 150 Diesel, and am pleased with its condition enough that Id like to restore it, and Id like to try and keep it as original as possible, as it appears to not have been overly tampered with or beat up. I was wondering if you could email me some picture files of your tractor as its one of the nicest I have seen on the internet. Thanks for any help you can be. Close ups of the dash and gauge area would be helpful too as I can see just about everything else from the pictures you have already posted throughout the years, I hope to someday collect some of those nice implements you have to compliment my tractor as well!

Clay

Tractor
    mf165-mh44-ac914

outstanding restoration,fwj. its almost impossible to find a 150 here in northern ohio. the local dealer said at the time,they sold 18-20 135's and 165's for every 150. our first 135 cost us 2700 in'66 gas w/basic options and got a '68 165d w/ everything for$ 4800.it even had the pressure control hitch on it. its something we never used to much. wonder how many on here know what pressure control was?
    i had tried to get dad to buy a 150 ,but he had to watch his pennys to earn a living on the small dairy farm he had. at that time credit was alot harder to get than it is now. i got a new k-20 chev. 4wd pickup in 75'- now wished i would have picked up one of the last 150s made.-jim

4`

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234