Should I buy and restore this IH?

/ Should I buy and restore this IH? #1  

tallyho8

Elite Member
Who Dat Nation west of Westwego east of Ama south
Tractor
Kubota L4400, Kubota ZD326
One of my neighbors parked this IH after bush-hogging his lot 4 years ago. Then he had a stroke and is now in a nursing home. I am thinking about making his wife an offer on this tractor and fixing it up. I have 2 questions. 1. How much is a fair price (for both of us) to offer her for this tractor in as is condition. No telling what has gone bad in the last 4 years. 2. Is there any demand for this model from collectors or is it a model no one cares about?

Attachments

• IH1.jpg
    IH1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 832
  • IH2.jpg
    IH2.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 671
   / Should I buy and restore this IH? #2  
If you are able to get it at the right price, I would give it a go.

/ Should I buy and restore this IH? #3  
Go on over to the discussion forums at Red Power Magazine and see what those folks say over there. They eat, sleep, and breathe old IH iron. I am sure someone over there can give you a good idea on whether or not it is worth restoring as a good percentage of them are collectors. They also have plenty of sources for parts, decals, etc.

/ Should I buy and restore this IH? #4  
Is that white paint original? IH made some demonstrator tractors which were painted white. Like MadReferee said, post the photos on RedPower magazine and see what they say.

/ Should I buy and restore this IH? #5  
Mornin Tallyho,
That tractor is going to need a lot of work ! First thing you want to check is if your motor is free ? Really important, because if its not you may have bigger problems. You want to check the block and all freeze plugs ! I personally dont care for the single tricycle wheel, but thats my personal preference, but that can be changed also.

Lastly there is no such thing as a demonstrator H or M ! They were never painted by IH with white paint !

So it comes down to whether you want that tractor or not, and that would involve a more thorough inspection !!!

/ Should I buy and restore this IH? #6  
I agree.

If the engine is free and not cracked.. it could be a candidate for restoration. Virtually guaranteed to not run as is.

The single wheel is more rare.. so.. from a collector view.. It is more valuable over the dual narrow front.. from a worker view.. it is not as desireable. What is it? an H?

In any case.. I hate to say it.. but as rough as it is.. I'd treat it like any other non runner. i can't see giving over 500$ for it.. if that.. preferably 400$.

I had a chance to buy a good running 49 H with a 6' belly mower on it for 2800$.. and it sat a long time at that price too. There is an M with factory power steering setting for 3000$ down the road.. good condition.. new paint..r eady to go.. still setting at 3k$ for a few years now...

So the market price ain't real high for a good runner.. meaning a dead hulk has even less value.

Now.. if the widow jumped it with her truck, and it started and ran..and had good oil pressure then that bumps the price up,, perhaps 900-1200$ if i really.. really really, wanted it.

Soundguy

/ Should I buy and restore this IH? #7  
If that white paint is original, and you can get the tractor for under a grand, it might be a good deal. H's aren't very popular, but they are plentiful, so generally parts are available. I wouldn't get real excited over it, as a tractor to use. :eek: :eek: But the collectors might give you a run for your money if you tell too many poeple that its out there.

/ Should I buy and restore this IH? #8  
It appears to be a M to me (possibly a H). They made the M's from 1939 to 1952. There were a few hundred thousand made of each model and there are numerous vendors that sell old and new Farmall parts.

That tractor in running condition would bring about $1200 at a central Illinois farm sale, possibly $1500. The white hood needs replaced and is a repaint. I would say no more than $500 as it stands. I restored a 1950 M last year and have about $5000 in it. I had a person do it for me and $2000 of that is in labor. About $950 was in new Firestones all way around and about another $2000 in parts inlcuding over $300 in just the automotive style paint and clearcoat.

They look good when their done but M's and H's are no big collectors item because there are so many. Mine was a family tractor so I restored it for sentimental reasons. The single front wheel will add value. If is is a Super M or Super H that will add even more. A Super H in good running condition (not restored) can bring over $4000 because they only made them 1 or 2 years.

/ Should I buy and restore this IH? #9  
I agree with the FArmall M for it's model, it is not a factory white demo model as just the front has been painted not the rest of it! New decals on the front that don't match the vintage. The demo tractors were normally fully optioned and that one only has the belly pump not the distributer pump for hydraulics. The sigle caster front is rare and might be special but I'd want to turn the engine over like suggested.

You should be able to buy a running one depending on condition between 750 and 2000.

/ Should I buy and restore this IH? #10  
Kahuna said:
It appears to be a M to me (possibly a H). They made the M's from 1939 to 1952. There were a few hundred thousand made of each model and there are numerous vendors that sell old and new Farmall parts.

That tractor in running condition would bring about $1200 at a central Illinois farm sale, possibly $1500. The white hood needs replaced and is a repaint. I would say no more than $500 as it stands. I restored a 1950 M last year and have about $5000 in it. I had a person do it for me and $2000 of that is in labor. About $950 was in new Firestones all way around and about another $2000 in parts inlcuding over $300 in just the automotive style paint and clearcoat.

They look good when their done but M's and H's are no big collectors item because there are so many. Mine was a family tractor so I restored it for sentimental reasons. The single front wheel will add value. If is is a Super M or Super H that will add even more. A Super H in good running condition (not restored) can bring over $4000 because they only made them 1 or 2 years.

What he said....

At best, restoring a tractor is a non-profit venture. (More like a black hole that absorbs money)

But it is fun! If you're in to scouring the earth for parts, enjoys wire brushing rusty parts, even enjoy digging a mouse nest out of an air cleaner, restoring a tractor can be BIG fun.

It's unbeleivably dirty, time consuming, almost always expensive one-problem-after-another nonstop entertainment. Sadly, you do ONE tractor, you're hooked. You're now addicted to 50 year old dried grease. You'll have to do ANOTHER.....and another.....and, well, you get the picture.

I would pass at $500. Now if it was a Super M/TA?????