800 Series Ford Questions

/ 800 Series Ford Questions #1  

morningwood

Tractor
1959 Fordson Power Major - 2018 Yanmar YT347
Hey Soundguy,

Saw your posts about your 850 and you have me kind of curious about some things and hoping you can clear them up for me.

I recently just bought a 880 Gold Demonstrator and some of the body panels are not correct, missing the rest o ride seat, the wiring is not correct and the battery box is missing some parts.

Would you happen to have a 6 volt wiring diagram for a 1959 or later 800 series tractor ??? I bought the Ford owners manual, parts book, SOS and repair manual and I cannot find a electrical diagrams. My tractor was changed over to 12 volt and I would like to restore it back to 6 volt. I am that sure that I need to re-wire for the genny and the voltage regulator.

In my parts books it shows two different battery boxes, did those change after 1959 or are they the same throughout all of the years ??? I see that CNH and Tisco sell new battery box parts and I am wanting to get the correct one.

What is you opinion of Tisco parts ??? I need a exhaust manifold, exhaust etc and I see they sell them but I have never bought any parts from them.

Here are some pics of the new girl:

IMG_0886.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

Hopefully this is what she will possibly look like when I am done:

881gold.jpg

Thanks,

Scott

P.S. There is a gas Ford 4000 with a one arm loader coming up for auction this weeked around the corner from me. What do you think she is worth guestimate wise??

/ 800 Series Ford Questions #2  
If it is an sos model.. then it must be an 01 series.. ie 881.. etc..

FWIW.. the battery box on that pic looks identical tot he one on my 850 and 660.

Most tisco parts are ok. as you know.. they are built enmasse and many are overseas.. thus.. qc= return/excange.. etc. IE if ya get a bad part.. return it for one that hopefully was machined better.. etc.

I have the owners manual for the 00 series which uses an ammeter.. let me check around and see if i have one for the 01 series. ok.. my f0-20 manual has a 6v diagram.. but also shows an ammeter. I'm pretty sure yours has an idiot lamp? correct? (grin) I also have manuals for the thousand series.. but they aren't close enough. AFAIK.. you will also have a fuel gauge correct? Seems I don't have any manuals for the 01 series. Let me see if i can track you one down.

As for the 4000 is it an early model.. 4 cyl.. like a 63/64 or a 65 3 cyl model.

The 4 cyl will be simialr to an 801 series tractor. I'm envious o fthe 1-arm loader.

if a 4 cyl.. and everything runs.. say 2500-3500

if a 3cyl and everything runs.. say 3000-4500

The laoder may or may not add a 150-250$ premium. If it had a standard HD 2 arm laoder.. perhaps 250-500$

What type of loader.. manual or trip dump? and does it have a front pump? or does it use an auxy hyd cover valve? or the quick and dirty trick of chained down lift arms and a 'log splitter valve.. or no valve and just a trip bucket?

If I lived in ohio.. I'd go to the auction with ya..

Soundguy

/ 800 Series Ford Questions
Yeah after I posted the message I realized that I asked about the 800 series vs the 801 series that came out in 59. You are correct she is a 881 w/ SOS, 540 / 1000 / ground speed PTO.

Do you know if there was a difference in the top ( the square plate that hold the battery down ) of the battery box between the different models ??

Are the parts from ytmag just tisco parts re-badged ???

I do have a ammeter gauge and two idiot lights. I know one of the idiot lights if for the SOS. I need to double check to see what the other one is for. I have a fuel gauge also.

I am use to the old Fordson, no lights, just a few gauges and a tachometer. :D They believe in KISS theory in the U.K. :p

Here is a pic of the dash:

IMG_0893.jpg

Now to the 4000 for sale at the auction, per the auction flyer in the paper it says "Ford 4000 Gas with Ford 1 arm loader w/ 2 buckets, purchased NEW in 1963."

I have already used my tractor buying allotment for the year, but I think I might have to have to check that one out. It might be a good machine to make some money off of ebay on.

Scott

/ 800 Series Ford Questions #4  
Hmmm.. the ammeter makes me wonder again... My manual shows a charge indicator lamp for the 01 and a ammeter for the 00.. no biggie. they wire up almost the same betweenthe series.. In any case.. i have located a manual for an 01... got an email address for me to send the wire diagram to ya ?

Easy rule of thumb is to have all electrical loads on one side of the ammeter along with the charge line.. and then to have the battery on the other.. situate so you have a positive deflected reading when charging and a negative deflection when discharging ( test with lamps and tractor off ).

Soundguy

/ 800 Series Ford Questions #5  
One question.. I see you are missing the sos shifter and dash housing.. is that laying around.. or are you missing it?

Also.. on the battery tie down cover.. I'm not sure of any differences except that the newer one would supercede the older one if it was available.. which I'm pretty sure it is not serviced from CNH.

As for the parts from YT.. I havn't recieved any that are rebadged. Many are tisco ( and the package says so.. ) .. some are other brands. I just bought a hyd valve from them.. the oring kit for the valve was tisco.. the valve itself was from some american CO. I'm not familiar with. I've also bought parts from them that came in tisco boxes as direct shipments.. and those parts were merely made for tisco.. not produced by them.. ( by the way.. the valve worked great.. that's what's powering the loader onmy 850 right now. )

Soundguy

Soundguy,

Unfortunately the SOS shifting unit is sitting on my work bench at home. I do have access too three spares at a bone yard so hopefully I should be able to cobble one together. Fortunately he gave me the tractor for half the price since the SOS is questionable. Hopefully I will just need new cables, CNH 134 lube, filter and a good cleaning and she will be good as new. Keeping my fingers crossed as that box can get expensive fast.

I am at work, I will check the owners manual when I get home for what the other idot light does.

I have your email. I will also shoot you a email when I get home.

I have copies of the original Fordson manuals for my FPM and they cover alot more than the Ford Manuals that I have for the 881. I am not sure why there is such a discrepency between the two.

Thanks,

Scott

/ 800 Series Ford Questions #7  
I'm going to send you the page from the 800 and the 801 manual that shows a simplified wire diagram... both ammeter and charge lamp. should be enough to get you in the right direction.

Soundguy

Soundguy,

I went and checked out the dash of the tractor to verify the lights gauges etc. She is a early ( early to mid February ) 1959 so I am not sure if it has some of the carry over gauges from the 800 series.

I have a fuel gauge, oil pressure gauge, and a temp gauge. The two idiots lights are for the ammeter ( I presume ) and SOS light.

The owners manual that I have says the that temperature gauge was a option that was only offered on the "special utility models"

Thanks,

Scott

/ 800 Series Ford Questions #9  
No.. I think your's is normal. i thought at first you said it had an ammeter. If it only has the charge indicator light and not the ammeter.. then is sounds like a normal *01 dash, with the optional other gauge..e tc. *01 started production in 58 ( late 57 ) and I might have expected some carry over sheet emtal then.. but by the time the SOS came out.. they should have been using all new stock.. as the SOS had some custom sheet metal parts..

Soundguy