commercial bush hogging questions

/ commercial bush hogging questions #1  

jt7157

Tractor
new holland tc55da
Do any TBN members have any expericence commercial bush hogging? What are the positives and negatives of this venture? I would appreciate any and all who share their experience as I am considering doing some commercial work in my area (middle Tennessee). Can it be profitable? What are the dangers of mowing someone's property? Has anyone ever required a deposit upfront to cover that roll of barbed wire that wasn't there? Thanks in advance.

/ commercial bush hogging questions #2  
jt7157 said:
Do any TBN members have any expericence commercial bush hogging? What are the positives and negatives of this venture? I would appreciate any and all who share their experience as I am considering doing some commercial work in my area (middle Tennessee). Can it be profitable? What are the dangers of mowing someone's property? Has anyone ever required a deposit upfront to cover that roll of barbed wire that wasn't there? Thanks in advance.

I've got a cousin that keeps 4 or 5 tractors and operators running all summer doing just that. I'm about to start mowing for a property management company this summer. In past years I've mowed for several real estate agents.

It CAN be profitable like any business. Or it can be a loosing proposition. You set the standard for which one .

The dangers are plenty. Sink holes, hidden rocks, trash and junk hidden in the weeds, old fences, boards with nails, old car batteries, tires, and the list goes on. That all goes with the territory. Doubtful anyone will be willing to pay extra, even after the fact, for damage done. You need to figure potential losses in with your rates.

You need as much liability insurance as you can reasonably afford. Have your insurance agent list their requirements as far as equipment.(saftey items) Make certain your tow vehicle is adaquate, well insured, and legal as a commercial vehicle. Plan on replacing mowers every few seasons. It will get trashed. Get a top-of-the-line heavy duty mower. Cheap "throw-aways" won't hold up to constant heavy use. That's where the difference in prices and quality comes forth.

Don't take "marginally profitable jobs". If you can't make your rates, let someone else have the job. Never take a job at a reduced rate on the hope or promise of "I'll give you lots of work in the future if you do this one for next to nothing". You won't last long if you're a charitable organization.

Some areas seem to prefer hourly rates. Some prefer a "by the job" set price. I prefer to work by the hour myself. Make it clear up front what you can do or CAN'T do. (i.e. mowing extremely steep banks and such)

I've done better with older tractors that have a lower initial investment. That keeps my overhead lower. That in turn lets me work at a more reasonable rate. It's been my finding that people I work for don't give a hoot how proud I am of a shiney new tractor. All they want is a good job at a good price.

Learn how to do your own tire repair. You will get flats. In rough conditions, you'll get many flats. (Think about foam-filling your tires)

There's easier ways to make a living. Fortunately I'm not dependent on the income from my mowing to live on. It's just a way to make a few extra bucks.

/ commercial bush hogging questions #3  
All very good points and things to keep in mind and don't forget the insurance!! Also, a guy locally has a few guys with him that run around the site with brush cutters, then get where the tractor can't, close to trees, etc. Also, when you are hoggin'- read the weeds, if the species of weeds change, so does the ground/soil they grow in or something foreign is there. I did a bush-hogging job a number of years ago (it was a retention basin that was dry), walked it and seemed safe, what I didn't see was a few bowling balls that some kids had rolled down a paved drive. OUCH!!

Good Luck!!

/ commercial bush hogging questions #4  
Farmswithjunk pretty much said it all, just do not forget the insurance. Mike

/ commercial bush hogging questions #5  
I am hoping to do this myself, and you have mentioned some good points. I know it has to vary greatly, but what are the rates and where are you located. This is for a 15' cutter.

Thanks

/ commercial bush hogging questions #6  
rutwad said:
I am hoping to do this myself, and you have mentioned some good points. I know it has to vary greatly, but what are the rates and where are you located. This is for a 15' cutter.

Thanks

We quoted a figure of $55 per hr for a 45hp/6' mower, $65 per hr for 60hp/7', 3 hr minimum and now that Johnny (my son) has his new rig, we'll be asking $95 per hr for 90hp/15' with 5 hr min on the 15'er. That will include travel time. All our work will be with-in 1 hours drive time from home. You should know this is probably the cheapest area in the universe for this sort of work. Everybody and their uncle has a tractor and mower. We weren't the cheapest bid price turned in, just the lowest of the qualified bidders. Also, we quoted $50 per hr for a man and weedwhacker. At first it was just going to be 6' or 7' mowers, but our "customer" threw in several larger tracts that really needed a bigger mower.

/ commercial bush hogging questions #7  
Mornin JT,
I have done a fair amount of bushoging but not commercially. Ontop of all the other good info you have got from the others, I would suggest some backup equipment. Tractor, bushog etc..... if your in the middle of a big job and run into trouble, you cant just walk away from it without finishing IMO.

As Farm mentions, it can get expensive real quick !

/ commercial bush hogging questions #8  
You have to make sure you not only make money for you, but pay for your equipment (replacement, maint, etc)

also, I like working by the hour (handles stupid issues like rolls of wires and such, i'm still getting paid to undo it, that really sucks BTW), but I've found that most of my customers don't.
We charge by the acre. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't win as much. it all works out. it also means that bigger equipment is more profitable. Customers seem to like this better, they know the price, plus I don't thave to drive out and bid it, I can do it over the phone. (which is less money wasted) it doesn't vary enough to worry about. (we have mostly grass and small saplings here, nothing big, that may not apply to your area)

big large properties get a lesser price obviously (because i can stay busy all day), but there is a point at which I just don't go below. Let someone else lose money working hard, I can make nothing sitting around watching TV, I don't have to work hard to do it. :p

Expect lots of maintenance.

/ commercial bush hogging questions
Thanks everybody for your very helpful responses. You've given me much to ponder. I thought I might try to offset the cost of buying a new tractor with some commercial work, but I now wonder if it's worth it. Thanks again.

/ commercial bush hogging questions #10  
If you've got a part or full time job with flexible hours, and the ground is good 10 months out of the year for mowing, I think you'd probably do O.K. for purchasing a tractor and mower for commercial work. Farmwithjunk and I are on the same page entirely with the exception of new/used equipment. I started my Brushcutting business with the motto, "Old fashioned experience, Cutting edge tools". and had the resources to buy a new tractor and mower at the time. Have done O.K. with the business, upgraded to a Cab model 4x4 tractor last year, and replaced a broken brush hog the fall previous.I do all kinds of mowing, but with mostly 5' to 7' mowers. There's a private outfit locally that has a Cat Challenger with flex wing mower,has a buttload of property in the county, and about 200 guys and girls working for him. Don't see myself getting into that market. This big owner can work any larger property, and absorb any loss, without going under. I've been diverse in implements, and bring the mower to suit the terrain and offending grass or brush. I own a 6' brush hog,6' offset rear flail, 7 1/2' finish mower, 10' boom flail, 6' box scraper, 6' landscape rake,4" chipper/shredder, and run a 4 in 1 bucket on the front of the tractor. Oregon law prohibits me from any subsoil work unless I have a contractors license, so I don't have a backhoe yet, for rooting out stumps. But I could purchase one for personal use. See how that works?Don't get discoureged quite yet,If your're willing to put in the hours, you can make this work, IF the demand is there in your area. Sidey BRUSHTAMERS