Glow Plugs

/ Glow Plugs #1  

celdred

Hey gang, I'm a proud new owner of a 1992 B7100 HST-D. I read a bunch of your threads before buying and then took delivery. Everything worked great for the first 2 weeks then I went out the other day and turned key to on, Glow Plug indicator light came on but the Controller coil wouldn't glow and thus she won't start. Am trying to figure out if it's a bad glow plug or a faulty controller. I've tested each plug with my Ohm meter and they are only reading .4 ohms which seems to be well within range. Battery is fully charged.

Does anyone have a fool proof way of testing Glow Plugs or the controller for that matter? I'd hate to buy 3 plugs, replace them all and find it's the controller. Neither part is returnable and my local dealer doesn't have the glow plugs in stock. They do have the $22 controller. Thanks for any help you can provide this first time diesel owner. Can't wait to get better aquainted with my new toy!

/ Glow Plugs #2  
Glow plugs can be tested by unhooking the wire that goes to each and connecting an ohm meter from the center of the plug to ground. Can be done in block or removed. You should get resistance. It should not show a direct short nor an open circuit. I changed mine on a 3 year old tractor last year. 2 of 3 were bad. If yours check OK then it may be your timer control.

Attachments

• glow plug 001.jpg
    glow plug 001.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 391
   / Glow Plugs #3  
Glow plugs on my Benz lasted 23 years before a couple went out.

Ralph

/ Glow Plugs #4  
One other sure fire way to tell if glow plug is working is to remove it then hook it back up to wire and put glow plug in one hand and turn key with other....you'll know soon enough if that one works.

/ Glow Plugs #5  
wushaw said:
One other sure fire way to tell if glow plug is working is to remove it then hook it back up to wire and put glow plug in one hand and turn key with other....you'll know soon enough if that one works.

Well most glow plugs get their circuit completed thru the engine block, so holding one in your hand with the hot wire connected would not be very eventfullas no current could flow thru it to heat it up:)

/ Glow Plugs #6  
The glow plug light on my B6100 never comes on anymore but they still work. I generally run for 30 secs when chilly and a minute when freezing. After that she starts right up. Don't be afraid to hold it on for awhile. I'd rather replace glow plugs than a starter. I've been using this method for a few years with no issues to the tractor. If it doesn't start right up then more glow plug time.

/ Glow Plugs #7  
You can check the controller by switching your multi-meter to voltage; energize the controller and check for voltage at the glow-plug

/ Glow Plugs #8  
celdred said:
Hey gang, I'm a proud new owner of a 1992 B7100 HST-D. I read a bunch of your threads before buying and then took delivery. Everything worked great for the first 2 weeks then I went out the other day and turned key to on, Glow Plug indicator light came on but the Controller coil wouldn't glow and thus she won't start. Am trying to figure out if it's a bad glow plug or a faulty controller. I've tested each plug with my Ohm meter and they are only reading .4 ohms which seems to be well within range. Battery is fully charged.

Does anyone have a fool proof way of testing Glow Plugs or the controller for that matter? I'd hate to buy 3 plugs, replace them all and find it's the controller. Neither part is returnable and my local dealer doesn't have the glow plugs in stock. They do have the $22 controller. Thanks for any help you can provide this first time diesel owner. Can't wait to get better aquainted with my new toy!

0.4 ohms sounds about right to me too. Check the voltage when you activate them. The controller is probably the bad actor - but don't forget to check the fuse and the switch.

jb

/ Glow Plugs #9  
Do you have to unhook the injector lines to change the glow plugs on a B7100?

/ Glow Plugs #10  
No. No connection between glow plugs and injector lines unless they're in the way. Not likely.