Dozer vs. Tractor

/ Dozer vs. Tractor #11  
rtimgray said:
How do you like the Nortrac dozer? I had not really considered that route when I was looking just because I thought that they would be too small (of course, I ended up buying a baby dozer and am very impressed with the capability, so there goes that line of thinking). Do you use the 3 point hitch much? I would think that it would be handy - just think, then I could bushhog the thorn bushes with a dozer and still not get flat tires!

I've never seen a Nortrac dozer personally, but I have seen several Chinese tractors. The ones I've seen seem a little rough around the edges, but certainly servicable, especially for the price.

This little beast works great especially for cutting ATV trails on the hillside. I use the front blade to cut and pull a boxblade in the rear to smooth things out. I can do it in a single pass on gentle slopes. I haven't bushhog with it yet but don't any problem using it. The quality is like any other chinese tractor. It's on the rough side and not very well engineered. I wish I have the time to use it more often and do some mods like re-routing the hydralic hoses that gets in the way. Mine has a steering problem right now. The nortrac does have very good warranty coverage. Mine has 3 1/2 years extended warranty.

/ Dozer vs. Tractor #12  
rtimgray said:
There really is no comparison between a dozer and a tractor. I had the opportunity to get both of mine out yesterday for working in the front yard. I had to basically cut down a small mound (18") and re-level the yard so that the water drains away. I had worked the yard last year with my Kioti DK 45 and box blade and it took several hours to get the area right next to the house cut down. Of course, last fall I bought my Case 310G dozer.

I used the dozer to peel back the topsoil and put it in a pile beside the area to be cut down. Then I had to push out the clay dirt beneath and push it downhill (I didn't have too far to go - maybe 50 yards for the longest push). Anyway, this little dozer is about 30 hp and weighs about 9,000 lbs. I couldn't dig real deep, but I made some pretty good passes. I did with the dozer in 45 minutes what would have taken all day with the tractor.

I did have to use the tractor with box blade to smooth everything out when I was done - I am not anywhere close to being able to finish grade with the dozer. It just really amazes me what a little dozer can do, compared to a tractor. If you have any amount of dirt to move, stumps to dig, or trees to push, a dozer is definately the way to go (buy or rent depends on the situation).

Take care.

On the other end of the size range, my neighbor uses an old D7 Cat dozer on his 30 acres of alfalfa field. It has a 10-12-ft wide laser-guided scraper box to level the field (he uses surface irrigation so the field has to be flat and properly graded for drainage) and a big tandem disk that he pulls with his dozer. He claims that this 32,000 lb/115 hp (drawbar) monster actually compacts the field less than his MF-294 tractor that weighs 6700 lb.

/ Dozer vs. Tractor #13  
He could be right. I'll bet the Cat has more than 6X the surface area in contact with the ground than the tractor does. That should offset the difference in weight.
I was looking seriously at a Struck dozer, but the fact that they are just SO slow really took it out of the picture for me.

/ Dozer vs. Tractor #14  
Rtimgray -

I'm not sure this thread should be titled "dozer VS tractor"? Maybe "Dozer compliments tractor"? Each have their advantages over the other.

How about some pics of you and your dozer in action?

I agree having a Tractor and a Crawler to compliment each other is the way to go, especially if you have any amount of land and want and need to work it. As long as your at it, you might as well add a Dump Trailer to the mix. Here are a couple of pics and a videos of my Komatsu D20A-6. I picked it up just about a year ago. It a super nice machine and gets many jobs done in no time flat. I built a dump trailer and use the dozer to haul the trailer around. With the Dozer and tractor, I am my own one man construction crew.

Try doing this with a tractor:

Larry

/ Dozer vs. Tractor #15  
I think you guys should drop the discussions about dozers! I don't have the funding in place to purchase one, nor the work to justify it, but it has always been a dream to own a tracked vehicle. Either you guys have to quit talking about it, or I am going to have to quit reading these posts, lol, cause SWMBO isn't going to allow funding for a dozer till she gets a new car. Some people have no sense of the correct priorities in life!!!
David from jax

/ Dozer vs. Tractor #16  
Larry,

Great pics!!! I agree, the dozer compliments the tractors, but it is so specialized that in my opinion, the tractor is still king. On certain things, my dozer is just amazing, but I've also come to learn that when used for the wrong things, it creates more work for me. Clearing roads is a good example. I started out tearing through the woods, taking out trees and making a huge mess. Then I spent allot of time cleaning it up. With the tractor, I can take out the trees and move them to the burn pile in about a quarter of the time that it takes to do it with the dozer first.

I'm comparing a 168hp dozer to a 80hp backhoe tractor.

Eddie

/ Dozer vs. Tractor #17  
Larry, Great post and pics. You gonna make everybody want to have both dozer and tractor:D :D I'm still shopping for a tractor... I'd love to have something with a loader on it.

Tom

/ Dozer vs. Tractor #18  
I like the view that says dozer compliments tractor.

As a property owner who isn't getting any younger, I've found so many tasks that a small dozer can do better than a tractor and that I could never do myself before. I now consider it a mandatory item on my place. When I bought it(Case 450 c), the plan was to use it on specific projects and then sell it....that was several years ago and that plan has changed....no sale.

I can easily see, down the road a few years, where the small dozer will make the difference in allowing me to continue to live on and maintain this place vs having to sell out and move back to town. The small dozer will extend my stay in the country by several years, all other things being equal...the small dozer is invaluable and a perfect compliment to tractors for folks with property.

/ Dozer vs. Tractor #19  
Gelu Botezan said:
Hi Guys,
need some advice

I finally got out of the tractor vs dozer dilema and decided for a dozer, mini, tiny dozer! the work is on small properties like 1/2 1/4 acres, confined spaces around buildings, moving earth, planting material etc.
I found the struck corp's Magnatrac machines. Surprisingly I could not find recent threads about these tractors in order to get some user input on the matter.
Are these machines reliable for commercial use, like daily use or rental?
they would be used in Romania at the bottom of Europe.
Hope I do not disturb much.

I'm just about finished with restoring an old Struck Mt3000 from 1986 . I think for the size it is a great machine . It is very serviceable and strong . The biggest weakness is having oilite bushings on the pins instead of rolled bronze which means you cant run a hammer all day . The bushings are easy to change and cheap . Majority of the steele is 3/16 not crazy heavy but plenty strong . If you buy the good tracks they will last forever (originals are still good)

James

/ Dozer vs. Tractor #20  
jmolwitz said:
I'm just about finished with restoring an old Struck Mt3000 from 1986 . I think for the size it is a great machine . It is very serviceable and strong . The biggest weakness is having oilite bushings on the pins instead of rolled bronze which means you cant run a hammer all day . The bushings are easy to change and cheap . Majority of the steele is 3/16 not crazy heavy but plenty strong . If you buy the good tracks they will last forever (originals are still good)

James
Thanks for the hint, I just do not understand why most people ignore the Magnatrac. The bad thing is that I am not living in the US and a false purchase could be very costly