4x4 fence post removel

/ 4x4 fence post removel #1  

actionaj

Gold Member
Tractor
BX2350
This past October I had to remove 25-plus 4x4 fence post all in in concrete. I started out using a nylon strap and choker and pulling them out with the FEL. Doing this by myself was going to take forever. So I had to come up with a better way. So the next post I curled the bucket while raising the loader on the corner of the post. It came right out so the next one I did broke off at the ground while trying to catch the edge with the bucket edge. So now I had to dig the concrete out. To keep this from happening again I got out the chain saw and cut a slot on each post so the bucket edge would be able catch more easily. This worked out perfect I was able to go from post to post pulling them out with the previous posts still on the bucket. I would have 3-4 post hanging on the bucket then unload and come back for more. I had the job done in a fraction of the time it would have taken doing it with a choker.

I had more pictures of this project but some how they all got deleted accept for this one.

Attachments

• fall 2008 034.jpg
    fall 2008 034.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 871
   / 4x4 fence post removel #2  
I never though of notching the post.

I take a piece of scrap 2x4 or whatever I have lying around, and screw it into the side of the post. Same result, just probably takes a little longer.

If you don't have a FEL or tractor handy, you can also do this towards the bottom of the post and use a hydraulic bottle jack to get the post out. I've done this allot when repairing fences.

Eddie

/ 4x4 fence post removel #3  

I take a piece of scrap 2x4 or whatever I have lying around, and screw it into the side of the post. Same result, just probably takes a little longer.

If you don't have a FEL or tractor handy, you can also do this towards the bottom of the post and use a hydraulic bottle jack to get the post out. I've done this allot when repairing fences.

Eddie
"I've just took a hammer and driven a spike or larg nail into the post a ways .
Just need something on the post to snag the feel or BH bucket.

Wonder if I could do the same thing and pull post with a front blade.

/ 4x4 fence post removel #4  
I used a slip hook and a chain and it worked well.

/ 4x4 fence post removel #5  

My Goals for 2008

1. Fishing and Hunting with my kids.
2. Build my storage Shed.
3. Put my outside access bathroom together.
4. Fence in a quarter acre for Turkeys.
5. Build my gazebo for my front pasture.
6. Finish back pasture and plant it in Bermuda.
7. Start my food plots.
8. Build a comfortable deer stand for two.
9. Build a wood burning fireplace in my home.
10. New flooring in my home.
11. Build a pasture sprayer.
12. Get my old jeep running.

Eddie

Hey Eddie, I know this isn't related to the thread here, but was wondering how you had done so far with your list of "goals for 2008" ? The year is soon coming to an end and I hope you got most of them accomplished!!! :)

/ 4x4 fence post removel #6  
I have cut them flush with the ground, and ran a large lag screw into the wood with an impact wrench. Then, I put a chain with a 2 fingered hook over the head of the lag bolt, laid some boards out, and used a bumper jack to pop them right out.

/ 4x4 fence post removel #7  
I just use chain with a grab hook. Wrap around a couple of times and hook on edge of bucket. Out it pops.

/ 4x4 fence post removel #8  
Before I had a FEL I used to take a 16" wheel rim, hook a chain as low to the bottom of the post as I could. Then sit the rim against the post and run the chain over the rim. Hook low on draw bar, drive forward and it would role right up the rim and out. Now I have a loader and life is easier.

Scott

/ 4x4 fence post removel #9  
To pull posts and/or lift other items prior to my FEL, I used my Hi Lift jack...What a great little workhorse it is...Still comes in handy in tight places.

Don

/ 4x4 fence post removel #10  
No FEL for me, a choke and a home made 3 point boom pole and had no issues pulling out 6" dia posts. One exception was that there was no concrete involved. I reckon that'll be a bit different case.

JC,

dsc04269ni5.jpg