New Pick em up Trucks

/ New Pick em up Trucks #1  

yooperdave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tool Cat 5600, LS XJ2025H, Branson 4215HC
I am thinking about selling my 2001 F150 4x4 off road for something newer and maybe bigger.

I would like opinions of what is good out there in the market place now.

I like Toyota, Nissan and Ford. Ford's employee pricing is looking pretty good right now.

I am leaning towards a 2008 F250 XLT super duty with the trailer towing package.

I have not heard much about the Titan. The Tundra is nice but way more expensive than a super duty. Super duty should be pretty tough.

I am open to suggestions. Hoping to buy yet this year.

TIA

Yooper Dave

/ New Pick em up Trucks #2  
Do not make the mistake I made. Get a F-350. I had 2 3/4 tons, a F-250 PSD and a Dodge with the Hemi. I was disappointed in them both when it came to load hauling. The new 1/2 tons are right in line with the 3/4's for 6 or 7 years ago. A new F-150 for example has twice the capability as your 2001. If you are after a F-350 it is only $600 more than a F-250 with the same options.

What engine are you after in the Superduty? I would shy away from the 5.4 and get the V-10. The 5.4 in a F-150 can tow more than a 5.4 in a Superduty. Again, the V10 is only $600 more than the 5.4. If you want to really go all out get the PSD.

The Titan is a great truck but running near the end of its run on this body style. If you get one you may be wanting to trade it in a year for the new body. I have not driven a Titan so can't really say much but I was disapointed in the last body style for V8 power and towing.

If you want a nice truck with some great deals now, about $8000 off sticker, look at the new F-150. The specs are amazing. It is twice the truck you currently have and will perform to nearly the level of a F-250 from the early 2000's like your current F-150.

Check the specs and compare. You need to do your home work and do not listen to the salesman. I know Fords inside and out and currently own 3 trucks. 2 Superdutys (2004 and a 2006) and a F-150 (2007). I get a call about every two weeks when my buddy salesman can not answer a question.

Chris

/ New Pick em up Trucks #3  
I bought a 2007 1/2 ton Dodge with the Hemi. I am now wishing I had bought a 3/4 ton with a Cummins so a could pull a dump trailer. It all depends on what you want to do with it. When I bought my truck, basically got a $10,000 discount. At the time the Cummins was maybe a $5000 discount, plus the truck cost maybe another $10,000. $15,000 is a big difference. I'm still not sure if I made the right choice or not. At the time I thought I would never need anything bigger.

/ New Pick em up Trucks #4  
Ford dealership in my area is taking $14,000 off ALL f-250's and f-350's! too bad this dealership has a terrible reputation with alot of people around here. if i were looking i would seriously look at the new f-150's. i'm not a Ford guy, but they seem to be one awesome truck. from my research and little calculating i've done, rebates on 08 Fords are better then GM's, at least in my area.

/ New Pick em up Trucks #5  
i'll speak up for the GM side. the 1 tons with the duramax/allison are amazing. if you don't want dual rear wheels the 2500HD with the duramax/allison would be the route i would take. i had a 3500 and ran it very hard towing heavy for 3 years. when i traded it it was still the nicest truck i have owned. upgraded to the 4500 for heavier weights and a dump bed.
good luck,

/ New Pick em up Trucks #6  
You can get a 1 ton F-350, or 3500 as some call it, in single rear wheel from all three manufactures. I really prefer a SRW for a driver and would only own a dually if all I did was tow. I drove a dually at work for awhile and it could not make it trough most banks, fast food drive ups, had trouble in parking spaces, about took the fenders off with tree branches plus did not track good in snow and mud.

Chris

Last edited:
   / New Pick em up Trucks
You got me thinking about the current Ford pricing scheme...
My discounts ranged only from $8,000 to $11,000 - not $14,000 (about 21-22% discount).
Maybe I will try Milwaukee and see if I can save a couple thousand more.

I noticed the F150 has a heavy duty suspension package, but no one seems to have them available. Maybe it is cheaper to just go with the F250.

Yooper Dave

/ New Pick em up Trucks #9  
I just purchased a job 3, diesel, 2008 F250 Lariat for about 13K off list 1 month ago. If possible, I would go with the F350, but aren't as many around. I still have my 1999 F250 gasser and the rear springs on the newer trucks are just too soft when pulling trailers. My 1999 F250 at that time had the same rear end axle and springs as a F350 except the F350's had a 2" riser block on the axle. My old F250 just stayed level despite the loads on the bumper. I have the camper package on the new truck with the extra springs, but it still sags too much. The newer F250 does ride smoother which is the trade off. I did drive a few of the newer F350s and the ride still seemed very good and not a significant difference from a new F250.
Fuel mileage on the 2008 diesel is better than I expected. Pulling 10-11,000 lb loads with diesel is about 12.5gpm on flat roads at 65mph. F250 gasser around 9-10 gpm. (My all time low with the gasser was 5-6 gpm in a heavy head wind and 14K, tall load) The 2008 diesel was just over 18 gpm unloaded at 65 mph. Unloaded the F250 gasser was about 12 mph. If I travel with either truck at 70-75mph, the fuel economy really starts to fall. Tough to push a big brick through the air.
I bought my new truck at $1000 below invoice and $8000 in rebates. Also had them add mud flaps and first 3 oil changes. The truck had a bedliner in place. Told them I didn't want it and wasn't going to pay for it. They left it in. The trade-in allowance for my old truck was pitiful. $6000 for an excellent 1999 F250 Lariat with CC, 84,000 miles and most options. I will sell the old truck myself or just keep it as a pure work truck.

/ New Pick em up Trucks #10  
I don't know what the laws for safety inspections are in WI, but in Illinois a 1 ton truck (D plate) has to go thru a safety inspection every 6 months. It costs about $20.00. It wasn't so bad when I lived in Northern IL, but where I live now, the closest inspection station is about 50 miles away. Something to check into if you are thinking about getting a 1 ton.

Jeff