2001 chevy 2500 died, need ideas

/ 2001 chevy 2500 died, need ideas #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
My brother called me last night.. he has a chevy 2500.. he parked it on a job last night he was working on.. went to leave last night.. turns key.. nada. Has lamps and dash lamps, had starter a couple times.. then nothing.. no starter even.. not like dead battery.. just won't engage anymore. never even tried to catch the couple times the starter kicked.

any ideas where to look? ignition switch / start switch problems... I don't know how the injector pump on that vehicle is handled but assume the computer has it's hands in there somewhere..

soundguy

/ 2001 chevy 2500 died, need ideas #2  
Ignition switch, starter solonoid and then the other usual stuff, batt cable, batt.

/ 2001 chevy 2500 died, need ideas
Ok.. more info.

Looks to be a fuel problem. Parts dealer says there is a lift pump in the tank.. but manufacturer says it's a gear charge pump on the back of the injector pump.. ( manufacturer was right )..

In any case... charge pump died.. it's getting a new one installed right now.

battery issue was unrelated.. and just happend to be a weak battery that died when it got a lil cold here in florida.

thanks for the ideas.

soundguy

/ 2001 chevy 2500 died, need ideas #4  
How many miles on it?? I am guessing this is a Duramax Diesel. I call the small pump on the back of the gear driven high pressure pump a lift pump. The injector pump is really only a pump that makes the fuel be under high pressure, like up to 20,000 psi. I have not heard of the lift pump going bad but anything is possible. I would make double sure the rubber hoses going to the fuel filter and then to the lift pump itself are free of cracks. The early Duramax engines had injector problems some kind of bad. Would allow diesel to get into the crankcase so bad the it would start coming out of the breather tube on the engine. I guess it gave the inside of the engine a real good cleaning while you drove down the road with crankcase full of diesel/oil mix.

/ 2001 chevy 2500 died, need ideas #5  
If it is a 6.5 turbo diesel it might be the PMD (pump mounted driver) that mounts on the side of the injection pump. If this is what they are changing, check and see if they mounted it back on the pump or mounted it on a heat sink on the intake. They had a lot of issues with heat affecting these and someone finally came up with the heat sink idea and it works good.

Hooked, Yes.. I do believe that is what it is .. and now that you mention it.. this truck lost one a couple years back too!

soundguy

/ 2001 chevy 2500 died, need ideas #7  
Is it the 6.5 or the duramax. I see that maybe the 2001 could be either.

/ 2001 chevy 2500 died, need ideas #8  
I took it for granted we were talking about a duramax.. A 6.5 has a lift pump mounted in the fuel line about the location a fuel filter would be under the truck driver's side. Not hard at all to change. Will usually make the truck hard to start if you can get it started.

/ 2001 chevy 2500 died, need ideas #9  
If the lift pump failed, I would suspect he took on a load of fuel with water in it at some point.

Very well could be.

soundugy