Broken hitch arms on a 3320

/ Broken hitch arms on a 3320 #1  

Bspring

I snapped both of my lift arms in half using my box blade in reverse. I just read that it痴 not a good idea to do that but it works really well until it breaks.

How well will it hold up if I weld them back? Has anyone had any success with this?

/ Broken hitch arms on a 3320 #2  
I've been using implements in reverse since I got my tractor, always heard it could be a problem.
As far as welding back together, if they're broke in an area you can reinforce with extra steel then I think they would be better than new, if they broke near the swivel balls then probably have to get new ones.

Have any pictures? what were you doing with the box, did you slam something? must have for both to break at the same time.

I may be asking for trouble with this contraption but it has been working great, I'm hoping the quick hitch's rigid frame may be offering some protection to the draft links.

JB.

Attachments

• PC200033.jpg
    PC200033.jpg
    538.9 KB · Views: 492
   / Broken hitch arms on a 3320 #3  
You will be welding that up after you price a new one. $245.00 JDParts

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Broken hitch arms on a 3320 #4  
You can get away with this so long as the load is inline with the arms. Where the oops happens is when there is a unbalanced load which turns the stabilizer into a mid span side load. The arms are then in their weakest load position.

The arms on some of the units are cast steel, others are forged. If it's cast I would not bet on any repair.

/ Broken hitch arms on a 3320
The box blade is great for cutting saplings off level with the ground or on bigger trees it will rip it out by backing into it and lifting up. Anyway I backed into what I thought were a few saplings but it was a stump that they were growing out of. I hit it at an angle and both hitch arms snapped.

A welder instructor friend of mine is telling me that my MIG welder will not work for this project but I am tempted to try anyway. As can be seen in the picture I have already fixed one of them.

Attachments

• Cabinets and countertops 044.jpg
    Cabinets and countertops 044.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 535
Is there a way to tell if it is cast or forged?

/ Broken hitch arms on a 3320 #7  
Doesn't breaking both your draft arms tell you something? You need a bulldozer, not a box blade!

Sincerely, Dirt

It would be nice to have a bulldozer but I am sure if I had one I would break something on it also. I tend to be hard on my equipment. My tractor is not a show tractor it is a tool and I ask a lot from it. It usually delivers quite well. Hitting the stump was an accident; it had been cut at ground level and I could not tell that it was there.

/ Broken hitch arms on a 3320 #9  
Wow, Something in the air. Yeasterday I also hit a "hidden stump". Bent my right side arm about 2 inches where yours broke. I called the dealer and got the same $245.00 price for a replacement. Now as mine is bent and not broke what would be the proper way to bend it back? Do I need to heat it or just start pounding?