I Remember...

/ I Remember... #31  
What year is this gun?
What brand is it?

The single shot .22 (with the shotgun in the pic) is a Winchester model 60-A. I only know that it was the "family gun" that my father got. Looking online, 1933 may be a good guess.

The bolt action .22 with scope is a Remington Matchmaster. Years showing production are 1940 through 1968.

I didn't do a serial number search on either gun.

/ I Remember... #32  
Any one remember or did your old country stores have a gum ball machine with the Trading Balls? For .01 cent you would get 3 gumballs, the machine had speckled gum balls in it and if you got one of those you would get a dime, you could but a lot of candy with a dime:D !

David

Good Mornin David,
I remember the gumball machine and how many I could fit in my mouth ! :) And I remember sitting at the counter sipping a cherry coke to the tune of 5 cents also ! ;)

/ I Remember... #33  
119027d1232068733-i-remember-matchmaster-m513t.jpg

119026d1232068710-i-remember-22-16-gauge.jpg

The single shot .22 (with the shotgun in the pic) is a Winchester model 60-A. I only know that it was the "family gun" that my father got. Looking online, 1933 may be a good guess.
The bolt action .22 with scope is a Remington Matchmaster. Years showing production are 1940 through 1968.
My cousins 22 is a single shot Remington bolt action .
His dad bought it new for him when he was a lad of around 12 years old back about 1952.It don't have a scope.

/ I Remember... #34  
Man,

This is amazing. Brought back lots of memories.

I remember going out to play in the snow/cold/wet and coming in for the 3rd or 4th change of clothes of the day and not minding the cold.

Also, we ate fish and chips wrapped/served in newspaper. Camping in the back yard, sneaking around the neighbour hood and still getting caught - not bad - just not sleeping like we were told to do.

Making go carts and buggies from any items we had. Every summer was a further bike ride from home - testing the limits of how far we could go.

Getting an ice cream after lunch and church on the way to the grandparent's farm - only if we were 'good' in church.

Catching frogs in the frog pond and throwing cow paddies at each other.

Great memories....

/ I Remember... #35  
How well I remember the days when my dad could fix anything, my mom could kiss any pain away, and my big brother always had my back. It's still so unreal to me that they are all gone, but oh my God the memories are still alive and kicking. As Bob Hope would say, "Thanks for the memories".

Amen.

/ I Remember... #36  
How cold the water in the Coke cooler was as you pushed your bottle along the track until you got it to the gate and put your dime in and got it out.

My grandmother lived one house away from an elementary school. Ironically my grandmother was a teacher but never taught at the school she could so easily have walked too. When I would visit during the summer I would go over to the school to play for hours and hours. Some years they would have a summer program and their would be kids to play with other years nobody would be over there.

I would ride my super fast 3 speed banana seated bike from Montgomary Wards as fast as I could down the very slight hill that was on the playground across the clay on the basketball courts. Since this was in FL there was lots of sugar sand and sugar sand will bust your you know whats trying to ride a bike through it. :D

It would be hot and humid but at that age who cares about hot and humid.

The wonderful oasis was the rusty old chilled, ice cold water fountain sitting under a walkway that was left plugged in all summer long. That water was so cold. So good. Better than a cold soda. :eek::D:D

By the time I was a teenager FL started fencing in the schools and moving in a trailer. The trailers would house the custodian or law enforcement officers who would keep and eye on the school. Really cut down on vandalism but it kept the kids out from playing on the school ground. I never saw any vandalism when I was over at the school. this was an old school with "hallways" ouside. The only indoors was the classrooms. All the doors opened to the breezeways.

That fountain was a wonder....

Later,
Dan

/ I Remember...
You guys are bringing back more memories for me.

The country store had the electric metal cooler for the sodas. But man it would keep them cold. I can remember sliding the door open and putting my head in the cooler, it had a very unique smell. The bottle caps were always thrown out beside the store, I bet there was a million bottle caps on the ground.

Before school started we would get a new pair of tennis shoes from the "Dime Store", I guess todays equivalent would be the Dollar General Store. At that time they had the PF Flyer tennis shoe and the commercial said they would make you "'run faster and jump higher". Mine were the cheap kind not PF Flyer, but I could not wait to get home and run around the yard...seemed like the new shoes really did make me run faster and jump higher:D.

Roses was the biggest department store around.

And we could not wait to get the Sears Christmas Book or Wish Book, I would sat and look at that thing for hours...never knew there were that many toys:D.

I told my son one time, he had more toys at the age of two than I had all my life!

But I made up for it with my life size tractor toy!!

/ I Remember... #38  
Never knew what store bought food was until I moved out at 18! Sat was baking day for my grandmother (bread, rolls, cakes and pies) using the wood cook stove. Always butchered hogs in Nov, canned sausage, tinderloin, cured hams, pon hoss, putting, etc. Big gardens = lots of canned and frozen veggies. Apple "snip" pies from cut apples dried on the wood cook stove warmers. Once built a raft from old logs by the river in Feb, yet broke apart and sent me and other kid swimming in freezing cold... clothes frozen by the time we reached grandmothers house... two chairs next to the open kitchen wood stove oven door thawed us out. Nothing colder than a soda pop from a water bath cooler. Monday was always laundry day! Half a beef in the freezer each fall (uasally hit or miss on flavor and quality) Yep, we might even be going back to those day. KFC in town has chicken liver meals that were great... went to San Diego one time and ask for a chicken liver diner and looked at me like I was crazy! We don't eat chicken guts here!

mark

/ I Remember... #39  
Man,

This is amazing. Brought back lots of memories.

I remember going out to play in the snow/cold/wet and coming in for the 3rd or 4th change of clothes of the day and not minding the cold.

Every summer was a further bike ride from home - testing the limits of how far we could go.

Great memories....
I never liked the cold and would no go out in it to play.

Me and my cousin took 3 to 10 mile rides on the country gravel roads.
Always took our BB guns to shoot the dogs that chased us.

/ I Remember... #40  
I didn't have a big brother just a brother that was 3 years younger than me.
He died about a year and a half ago.
Mom died in 1989 and dad in 1980.
There was only 4 in my family.

When I was born that made four of us, but mom and dad kept busy for a few more years and I now have a younger brother and sister. It's nice to have them and they are great people, but my family as I first remember it is all gone now. I remember the days when I was just a kid when I would think that we were all somehow special and blessed, and we would all live forever. Mortality came knocking way too soon for my dad and brother, neither of them seeing their sixties. If I hang in their for a few more years I'll be the first of my family to reach that milestone in quite some time. Heh, the good news is that I feel pretty good. Other than a few aches and pains I can keep on keeping on when most of the younger folks are calling it a day. Having grandkids now I'm not so sure that the good old days were indeed the good old days. These days are so much fun when I hear something like, "Bop Bop, take my hand". Any time little buddy, any time.