/ Cheap Tire Changer for PT #11  
   / Cheap Tire Changer for PT #12  
Dear Carl,

So you have;
a) valve stems ripped out
b) debris between rim and the tire
c) ?
What's the relative frequency?

It sounds like the stem protectors should help with a)

I realize that you run in some rough area, but I wonder if perhaps a little more tire pressure would help keep debris from penetrating between the tire and the rim? Might help with b). ?

If the rims are chewed up, you may just need new rims. Does anyone have a source? Last time it came up, the consensus was that it was PT custom, but I find it hard to believe that there isn't another manufacturer out there.

All the best,

Peter

My flats have been a major frustration, and in looking at how much I have spent dealing with it, probably the most expensive repair on my PT. Honestly, I think I have spent nearly $500 in dealing with my tires so far.

They are, for the most part, used. My initial problems were valve stem related (Tubeless). I put on steel stems, that helped a bit (not cheap) but I still got debris between the tire and rim. So now I am switching out the tires to tubes, with valve stem protector welded on. Thankfully ken sent me 2 extra tires so I have not had any serious downtime.

I have up north 2 flats. I figure it will be 30 to 40 all in to get them fixed at the shop. Then this conversation came up about the tire changer. Never thought of doing it myself.

My PT runs in some rough areas, although it is improving. The rims are rough at best. The tires are not new. I run about 8lbs on the high end.

Carl

/ Cheap Tire Changer for PT #13  
Carl,

How close is the setback on your rims? At the edge of the rim. 2 in setback, or centered in the rim. Can you bolt rim to rim like on dually truck tires. Do you use an adapter to connect the two wheels together? How much distance from tire to frame?

I had a set of rims made up for my 1445, which uses 26 X 12 X 12 tires at my local wheel and rim manufacturer

/ Cheap Tire Changer for PT
No setback. Flange welded to the edge of the rim There is a ring spacer between each rim (about 2" by 1/4" by 12" oval) ring that divides the tires. All rims are identical, you just turn one over the motor, or pointing out, with the spacer inbetween.

There are two sets of bolts on each stud, one for the inner tire and one for the outer.

I don't really have any good pix of the rims, here is the best I have.

Attachments

• PICT0943.JPG
    PICT0943.JPG
    724.3 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_4369.JPG
    IMG_4369.JPG
    484.1 KB · Views: 150
   / Cheap Tire Changer for PT #15  
Carl, I see what you mean about the tires and rims. Mine have a small off set, and will not let me use duallys or reverse rims. However, the picture below is used for go carts, but it could be up sized for your tires.

I believe those rims are stock, and then they weld in the center plate for certain customers. When I ordered mine, they told me they could make anything I wanted.

I think I could cheat and use a spacer with flange on both sides . One of my Sears tractors had a spacer for duallys

Attachments

• bead popper.jpg
    bead popper.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 100
   / Cheap Tire Changer for PT #16  
For those that own a set of adjustable forks for their PT or tractor, or make an adapter for the fixed forks.

I just thought of another super way to break the bead on tires, and that is to use the adjustable forks on the PT or tractor. just place the forks on both sides of the rim, and apply force. I should have been doing this all along. You should be able to break down any tire using this technique.

/ Cheap Tire Changer for PT #17  
Why not surrender and just fill them with foam.

/ Cheap Tire Changer for PT #18  
I don't really have any good pix of the rims, here is the best I have.

How in God's name did all those dings get in those rims. IEDs? They look like Iraq war surplus stuff. :eek:

/ Cheap Tire Changer for PT
How in God's name did all those dings get in those rims. IEDs? They look like Iraq war surplus stuff. :eek:

Ain't that nice? Mostly that is the way some of the rims came. I was concerned, but the tire guys said they were fine.

I have been cutting alder groves on my property, and the stumps range from 1" to 4". They really bung up the rims..

As for foam, I was quoted $250 a tire, X 8.. Mortgage payment is more important at this point.