2 bottom plow question

/ 2 bottom plow question #1  

PA hayseed

Platinum Member
Tractor
nx5010 hst cab
I am, at times, a patient person. Now I have been to equipment auctions, farm auctions, looking on craigslist, ebay, bargain papers, and I have not been able to buy an old 2 bottom plow at a reasonable price. Yes, the key here is a reasonable price. I can't bring myself to buy a 30 year old plow for twice the money it was new. Now I have seen a bargain or two go by at around $225, but normally it has one or more issues.

My question, is anyone finding 2 bottom plows, with decent coulters, mouldboards, etc for $275 or less? When I say decent, I expect some issues, but not major problems. Is my price range unrealistic? I have seen some without parts on it go for a little as 200. I also know that as soon as spring comes in I will not get my hands on one.

Any feedback would be helpful, maybe I need to drive south of the mason dixon line to get one. It may just be a central PA thing.

/ 2 bottom plow question #3  
I am, at times, a patient person. Now I have been to equipment auctions, farm auctions, looking on craigslist, ebay, bargain papers, and I have not been able to buy an old 2 bottom plow at a reasonable price. Yes, the key here is a reasonable price. I can't bring myself to buy a 30 year old plow for twice the money it was new. Now I have seen a bargain or two go by at around $225, but normally it has one or more issues.

My question, is anyone finding 2 bottom plows, with decent coulters, mouldboards, etc for $275 or less? When I say decent, I expect some issues, but not major problems. Is my price range unrealistic? I have seen some without parts on it go for a little as 200. I also know that as soon as spring comes in I will not get my hands on one.

Any feedback would be helpful, maybe I need to drive south of the mason dixon line to get one. It may just be a central PA thing.

The first time I ever drove a tractor by myself (at age 9) I spent the day plowing. Apparently it wormed it's way into my bloodstream! I'm addicted to plowing. Or at the very least, I am fascinated by rolling dirt. I LOVE messing with old plows. And over the years, I've brought a number of them back from the fringes of the scrap pile. As someone who buys and sells used equipment for an income, My fascination is also a job. No telling how many old plows I've owned at one time or another.

That said, don't EXPECT too many really nice ones at bargain prices. You MAY stumble on to one, but it'll be the exception rather than the rule. Old plows are getting REALLY old. Not very many new ones made, and they aren't the quality of the old guys. Wear parts are getting scarce and EXPENSIVE. So nice plows are getting, well, scarce and expensive.....

I ALWAYS have at least one plow of my own, ready to take to the field. LAst one I bought and rebuilt, I spent almost $500 on the plow and shipping to get it here, then another $550 to put EVERY piece of iron wear parts on new. So more than a grand to get what is essentially a new plow.

Most recently, I've seen plows in what I'd describe as 50% condition sell for $275 to $400 at auctions here. Really nice ones, in 75% condition sell in excess of $500. Certain models that pair up with more collectable tractors, well, just toss your wallet on the table and run.... I saw a 415A Deere (which I don't consider a really good plow to begin with, after owning one) sell for $1200 3 weeks ago.

Best plows in my opinion? 101 Ford's or MF #66 or #43. These plows are well designed, light draft mounted plows, and parts are still readily available. Decent 101's sell for a MINIMUM of $400 (in rough shape) here.

As recently as 5 years ago, you couldn't hardly GIVE a 2 or 2 bottom mounted plow away.....Enter the hobbiest/food plot/ranchette/compact tractor explosion...... Now they're hot items.

/ 2 bottom plow question #4  
I also know that as soon as spring comes in I will not get my hands on one.

Farmwithjunk gave you some info. that maybe could answer your questions and help you decide, i know that down in his area there is more for sale than in mine.

I did see an old JD 2 bottom for sale in a paper last week that was junk and they wanted $550 for it.

And you was right about not being able to find one when spring gets here, probably the only ones left in spring that are for sale will be junk or the seller is asking too much.

Hope you find what your looking for.

/ 2 bottom plow question #5  
Nope.
:)

I looked for a long time. I finally bought the plow I have from here http://www.ludensimplement.com/ and it wasn't what I consider a bargain.

http://www.ludensimplement.com/catalog/acreage_equipment/plows/dearborn_2_bottom_3_point_plow
This one looks to be in decent shape.

Shipping was an issue for me but I found a fellow coming from near there to near here and he brought it with him for $300.

Plus, It was wore out and I spent a lot putting it back in shape. It was missing one coulter and only a portion of the parts are available so I'm trying to build a new coulter.
I was able to get wear parts, shins shares and landslides but that's all.

Good luck.

Last edited:
   / 2 bottom plow question #6  
Things are pretty well the same down here as described above. $350-500 is normal around here for junk to a little more than junk plows. $500+ will get you a better piece of iron that will need only moderate repair/replacement parts. Every once in a while a fellow can stumble over something decent, but if the seller ever figures out what he has, the price immediately goes up.

/ 2 bottom plow question #7  
Try this site
YT Classifieds: All
Add 'Plow' to the 'Search for Only' section, and change the state to 'PA'. There's a 2 bottom in there for $275. I have no idea if it's close to you or what type of plow it is, but sometimes those vague adds turn up the sleepers.
Good luck.

/ 2 bottom plow question #8  
4yrs ago I saw a perfect AC CA plow go for 45.00 bucks at Kings auction. I've got one myself that is literally in new shape. I thought it would have been a 400 dollar plow. I didn't get rid of it when I saw that one sell for less than scrap price.

/ 2 bottom plow question
Try this site
YT Classifieds: All
Add 'Plow' to the 'Search for Only' section, and change the state to 'PA'. There's a 2 bottom in there for $275. I have no idea if it's close to you or what type of plow it is, but sometimes those vague adds turn up the sleepers.
Good luck.

It sold awhile ago according to the guy. Close doesn't really matter anymore, I have been to salvage yards, stopped by old farms, and travel to an equipment auction about 120 miles away. I don't mind travelling to the equipment auctions, as you never know what will pop up.

Thanks for the tip though.