JD X500 vs X700?

/ JD X500 vs X700?
Thanks for all the advice. One issue is that I do not see using an FEL if that helps the GT vs SCUT issue. I have not tested any of my tractor options but have read that the X700 series is "more comfortable" than the 2305 or Kubota BX which migth be important for long mowing stretches. I should clarify that I have 3 acres to mow and several acres of "pasture" that I was told I could mow or someone might cut it for free for hay. I have a few acres of a wooded area and a small pond. I am very new to all this and am wondering if I really need the PTO. This is a tough decision of GT vs. SCUT vs Diesel vs warranty vs price. Again, I appreciate all the advice and have learned a ton.
Thanks

/ JD X500 vs X700? #32  
I don't have a lot of input here, but I do mow 3+ acres regularly with a Simplicity Legacy that has a 48" deck. ( that was necessary when I bought it to get between large rocks, etc. on the property) I also have owned a BX22, and have used both on the same land. The Simplicity is roughly the equivalant of the X700 series JD in size, and weight. I found a huge difference in the smoothness of the steering over a long day of use in favor of the SCUT. Most GT's use cast spindles in sleeves that sometimes need to be greased more than once per mowing in my experience. I would look closely at the ruggedness of those components, and the ease of mounting the mower deck, material collection system (if you are interested in those), and other things that you will use every time you use that tractor. I have rough ground, and many obstacles, and small areas that are a bit steep, and a Sears GT lasted one year here so that flavors my opinions too. I also own a Kubota B2620, and the original intent was to perhaps mow with that. After using it for a while on my land, I'm not so sure that I want to do that now, though I still haven't decided for sure. If your ground is rough at all, I wouldn't look much at anything below the X700 series, or the various SCUTS. My Legacy has been OK, but I have replaced the fuel pump, and now need to replace the starter solenoid, and a few other cheaper parts this spring. I have between 500-600 hours on it now. I had the Simplicity version that is roughly compared to the X500 series, and I replaced the steering components three times in 1400 hours. I may trade my Simplicity in this spring so I'm following this thread with interest.

/ JD X500 vs X700? #33  
I would say look around. I started off with a John Deere X500. Due to the winter ice storm here in New Hampshire, we ended up taking down 40 pine trees and we are going to be totally re-doing the whole landscape.

We quickly decided that a compact tractor with a loader, backhoe & mower was more in line with what we wanted to do
With the amount of land you have, if I were you, I would strongly look at a compact tractor. They are able to mow, bag and do many, many other things that if you went with a John Deere X series tractor, you would be limited as to the attachments. Maybe you don't need a front end loader or a PTO now, but in the future you might, and if you do have the capability, there is just no limit, you're better off to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

We traded our X500 with 28 hours on it for a Massey Ferguson GC2420TLB compact tractor. We searched high and low, the John Deere's were roughly $3000 MORE doing an apple to apple comparison.

We got more for the John Deere X500 with a mere 28 hours on it at the Massey Ferguson than we were going to get at any of the 3 John Deere dealers we visited.

We had gone with a John Deere because the "hold their value" That can be debated, it was not the case with us.

Massey Ferguson is currently offering 0% for 72 months, very attractive numbers....John Deere is currently doing 0% for a year. (Massey has JD beat by 5 years)

Just our experiences....be 100% sure on what you want right out of the gate....it's costly to change your mind! Good luck with the big decision!!

We don't have any sour grapes with the John Deere product, just trying to let you know our experiences and save you the frusterations we went through.

/ JD X500 vs X700? #34  
:)I am not going to get into the debate about the Cut tractors versus what I consider the John Deere Subcut tractor the X700 series. I can only relate my experiences. I have 17 acres of which 3 is pasture and the rest is timber. I have an X485 (now X720 I believe) with 62" deck and a Johnny Bucket. I have had no trouble with any application I have asked of it. I keep the 3 acres mowed as well as trails through the timber maintained. Also move wood with the Johnny Bucket attachment. Would I like a larger tractor - sure - but the X485 does all I need and more. It all comes down to your needs versus wants.

/ JD X500 vs X700? #35  
I am usually not in the "bigger is better" camp. However, in this case i would be leaning in the direction of a sub-cut. They mow well, have 4wd for hills, and can do some loader work/3 pt work.

Heres my main point: If you like to work outside you will find all kinds of projects that will utilize the sub-cut 3pt hitch and loader. If you dont, get a "cheaper" gas x700(or equivelent) to mow quickly and comfortably and just hire out the brush cutting/haying.

T

Edit:
Never mind i see you want a warrenty.

/ JD X500 vs X700? #37  
I thought the prices you listed were high also. Find a dealer that wants to deal. I bought a X744 last month for 10,500 out the door with a brushguard. List price was 12,600 plus 200 for the brushguard. That is only $500 more than the price listed for the X700. The X744 is diesel and 4 wheel steer. JC

/ JD X500 vs X700? #38  
Dont' you hate going on JD forums and the same Kubota guys troll the forums on a regular basis and push a Kubota on you every where you go. :mad: Sure they have good products, but if someone wanted one, they would go on the Kubota forum. We go on the JD forums, because we want JD. :p

/ JD X500 vs X700? #39  
You will stay out of trouble if you just ignore certain post instead of replying to the nonsense. JC

/ JD X500 vs X700? #40  
You will stay out of trouble if you just ignore certain post instead of replying to the nonsense. JC

Yet no one on this board puts him in his place. He is on my ignor list, but i still read a post or two like this about 4 times a day. Its sad.