PT Seat Suspension

/ PT Seat Suspension
good choice on the seat one of the first mods done to my tractor, only problem I ran into was head bumping on rops on rough terrian

Yes, there is only about 2 inches of clearance over my head. I actually have a foam liner under the ROP for sound deadening, but it will help with bumps too, I hope. I have attached some pictures. Notice that the seat is mounted much further back on the PT seat plate than the PT seat. I actually mounted it 3 times, much to my shame. I need it all the way back and could use a little more distance, but this seat has more depth than the PT seat. Also the arm rest do not fold up.

Attachments

• DSCN1605.JPG
    DSCN1605.JPG
    231.8 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCN1606.JPG
    DSCN1606.JPG
    232 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN1607.JPG
    DSCN1607.JPG
    232.7 KB · Views: 111
   / PT Seat Suspension #12  
Yes, there is only about 2 inches of clearance over my head. I actually have a foam liner under the ROP for sound deadening, but it will help with bumps too, I hope. I have attached some pictures. Notice that the seat is mounted much further back on the PT seat plate than the PT seat. I actually mounted it 3 times, much to my shame. I need it all the way back and could use a little more distance, but this seat has more depth than the PT seat. Also the arm rest do not fold up.

I did this exact same mod (see link in my sig) and ended up moving back to the stock seat after a year or so. The TSC seat definitely helped absorb some of the pounding on my back and kidneys, but it sat me up too high and caused my knees to hit the edges of the steering column area. Once I got used to it, I didn't bang my knees nearly as much though. Also, over time the seat began to loosen up and tilt slightly from side to side. It wasn't very much, but enough to cause shifting and discomfort when operating the mini hoe or driving across a hill.

I find myself doing different types of work then when my house was first being built, so the harshness of the stock seat isn't quite as much of an issue now. The TSC also made the seat height too tall for my 5'2" wife to operate it comfortably.

/ PT Seat Suspension #13  
My seat did not raise that much but maybe the PT1850 has much more head clearance and that is why i do not notice. If i think of it, i will measure the headheight with and without me sitting on the seat - it sinks when you sit on it. One reason i went with the suspension i did was that it was much lower than most. The arms swing out of the way.

I must admit i had forgotten how bad the original seat was until this thread got started. It now feels like it has always had this seat setup and i never think about it.

Ken

/ PT Seat Suspension #14  
The head clearance depends upon where you measure - 37 1/2" at the front of the seat, 39" at the rear where you are sitting. Relative to the original seat, the suspension mechanism adds 1.75" - 2.75" of height depending upon how you have it adjusted. The slide rails, plate, etc. add another 3/4" or so. It looked to me about 3 1/2" additional height as compared to the original seat. Carl might be able to measure his at some point to give you an actual comparison to a well used original seat. I sent him all of my original seat parts so I have nothing to measure.

Ken

/ PT Seat Suspension
I got this injury from driving too fast across a rough field. So this was really my fault. Maybe a year from now I won't need the suspension seat.
By the way I have foam pipe insulation strapped to the corners of the steering pedestal to protect my knees. I did this because my old Kubotoa would hurt my knees. I now may need it on the PT.

/ PT Seat Suspension #17  
I would love the suspension seat, but I am also mulling over a wheel chair insert. It was recommended elsewhere on TBN. Make the wife make a cover and put it on the old seat base.... I have to say the PT gives the worst ride of a tractor. Then again, if you guys have never been on the tilting seat version of PT it is a bizarre experience. The seat is always moving, and lots of times not quickly or correctly... Probably adds to the pain...

/ PT Seat Suspension #19  
Its my second, probably not my last. This one is much more domesticated then the previous, the previous being a lot more adventerous but no where near as stable. Kind of like owning a Lamborgini then buying a volvo. Looks seem to have been a trade off as well not nearly as sexy, not nearly as firm, but as we all get older, seems to matter less.

/ PT Seat Suspension #20  
Its my second, probably not my last. This one is much more domesticated then the previous, the previous being a lot more adventerous but no where near as stable. Kind of like owning a Lamborgini then buying a volvo. Looks seem to have been a trade off as well not nearly as sexy, not nearly as firm, but as we all get older, seems to matter less.

Hopefully, she don't know how to shoot if she ever reads this post.