When to seed

/ When to seed #1  

hobie

Silver Member
Tractor
Jazee One
I have some area I want to reclaim as lawn. They have been overgrown by greenbriar, and weeds as the hired help cut less and less over the past decade. I have cut that back, and was thinking of seeding, and just keeping it mowed. Not concerned with having the lawns you guys show, just some grass to prevent erosion. The property is in Southeastern Mass. When should I seed? Thanks, Brian

/ When to seed #2  
I'm a little N of you but on the West coast. Around here we typ plant pasture in the fall and let it get started and grow some over the winter months. But with your weather, that may not be possible. I'd say for grass that is not pasture, you should be able to plant in the spring after all the snow is gone and soil has warmed up a little and you can prep the soil. You do want to cover the seed some.

/ When to seed
Mickey, Thanks. I think it'll be another month before it warms up enough, but we'll see.

/ When to seed #4  
I can't talk to your regional concerns, but I've heard a lot of the old timers around here say they've actually planted grass on top of the snow. It's a great way to do it because the snow melts gradually and keeps the seeds moist.

The biggest deal is to plant when you can keep the seeds wet to germinate and start growing. Around here that means early spring or late fall when temperatures are more moderate.

/ When to seed #5  
Cool season grasses do best when planted in the fall... it gives time for deeper root development over the winter (roots grow over the winter even though grass doesn't). This helps survival rate in the hotter summer months, whereas spring planted grasses will have shallower roots when hot weather hits, and might not survive.

Having said that, spring is still the second best time to plant cool season grasses.... soil temps need to be around 55 degrees for good growing to begin. Do soil test, and fertilize and adjust ph as necessary right now... go ahead and put the seed out... mother nature will germinate it when conditions are just right.

/ When to seed #6  
I have had to plant grass in the spring a number of times here in the western part of Mass. Planting early has never been a problem. Late does not work well. The biggest problem is keeping the seed and young grass moist. Lots of watering is an obvious solution, but just one good hot day without water can do the seed/grass in. I have found a very light straw or hay mulching works very well. It keeps moisture in, shades the young grass and people tend not to walk all over it. I have tried putting the seed down first and the mulch first. Both work if the mulch is light and feathered. Water well after putting it down, then check every few days by moving a bit of mulch aside. The mulch will just rot away once the grass is up. Heat and dry are not your friend, but don't over water as well.
Is that Hobie as in Hobiecat?

/ When to seed
Boatyard, Thanks for the tips! Yes, I'm a Hobiecatter. Doesn't look like your avatar pic was taken in western Mass! What type of boat is that? I'm getting more conservative as the years pass, and may try to sell my Hobie 17 this year. I've been going out with friends on their cats for the past 4 years, but do miss sailing my own boat. I also have a Sunfish, and 3 kayaks. Boats are addictive! Brian

/ When to seed #8  
I'm a little bit north of you, but if you want to plant in the spring, just watch the Forsythia. When it blooms yellow is a good time to plant grass seed.

/ When to seed #9  
Hobie boats are very addictive! The boat is a Drascombe Lugger on the Maine coast. We have canoes and kayaks but I love to sail most. The lugger is borrowed and we own a Lightning and a Thistle. Good luck with the grass.
Christopher

/ When to seed
Update: I think I put the seed down shortly after my last post. Last year was so wet here, I only had to water it twice. I used a mixed seed from the hardware store, and it is doing very well. Just seede some more re-claimed areas, and am hoping for similar results. Chris, I love the cats, but will sail on anything. Maine is a beautiful place to sail. Brian