Chute deflector operator for snow blower

/ Chute deflector operator for snow blower #11  
This is a bit of over-kill, but if you do a bit of searching you might be able to find a used one (?). This link will show the Warn remote switch and wiring. I have a switch like this on my chute control and the nicest thing is it is weather tight and came with all of the mounting hardware which made installation quick and easy.

Amazon.com: Warn 64851 ATV Winch Mini-Rocker Switch: Automotive

This is the actual switch I used, all I had to do was remove the handle bar hardware and mounted the switch using the two holes provided.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ATV-Mini-Rocker-Winch-Switch-Handlebar-Remote-Control_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43984QQihZ012QQitemZ220356447846QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Last edited:
   / Chute deflector operator for snow blower #12  
The Surplus Center also has some interesting switches...

Like this, but you would need to use relays...ATV Switch

And THIS...

/ Chute deflector operator for snow blower #13  
:DGeez Guys... This is the thread I have been waiting for! I'm planning on both the chute rotator and the deflector with the linear actuator. Hmm I saw a couple of 4 way joysticks that would turn and direct at the same time.:rolleyes:

/ Chute deflector operator for snow blower #14  
I would like to convert my Kubota Snowblower chute to electric operation. I think it would be pretty simple. Now the chute is operated by a hand crank that is mounted to the FEL Hyd control handle and extends down about 5 feet to the to of the blower. all I would have to do is remove the long hand crank and install a rotary actuator with limit switches and run the wires up to the Hyd control handle to a mom DPDT w/center off switch.

/ Chute deflector operator for snow blower #15  
OK, gentlemen of the tractor. The winch is now installed onto the snow blower.
The original method had the cable wound around the base of the chute a time or two and then connected to a tab on the chute by cable clamp. The other end of the cable was wound several times around a 3/4" or 1" round stock crank handle. I guess that somehow it formed a loop.
My question now is how to route the cable to make this work with the forward and reverse of the winch. I just did a quick test tonight as I don't have much time. Of course it will work when the spool is reeling in the cable, but what about when I reverse course and have the spool paying out? How can I route this so that the blower will turn left to right 180º?
Here's the new setup:

IMG_0271.JPG

/ Chute deflector operator for snow blower #16  
You need to wrap the chute twice and then return the cable to the winch spool and attach it.

/ Chute deflector operator for snow blower #17  
You need to wrap the chute twice and then return the cable to the winch spool and attach it.

Will have to look it over closer when a clearer head prevails. As it stands now, there's one hole in the spool with a set screw which is holding the cable at one end.
But the hole does run clear through the spool. Maybe another stab at it tomorrow. Long day today and looks like a workday starting at 5 AM tomorrow. Bedtime for this cat soon!;)

/ Chute deflector operator for snow blower #18  
Nice Blower. Do you have more pics? We have the same one, but the 50" model.

OK, gentlemen of the tractor. The winch is now installed onto the snow blower.
The original method had the cable wound around the base of the chute a time or two and then connected to a tab on the chute by cable clamp. The other end of the cable was wound several times around a 3/4" or 1" round stock crank handle. I guess that somehow it formed a loop.
My question now is how to route the cable to make this work with the forward and reverse of the winch. I just did a quick test tonight as I don't have much time. Of course it will work when the spool is reeling in the cable, but what about when I reverse course and have the spool paying out? How can I route this so that the blower will turn left to right 180コ?
Here's the new setup:

IMG_0271.JPG

/ Chute deflector operator for snow blower #19  
Will post some pics when I get it right. I had to add some spacers to bring the winch spool up to the level of the channel at chute base to keep cable from rubbing.
There's still something I'm overlooking somehow. I can't seem to keep enough tension on the cable to pull in both directions. When winch reverses I always have some slack and then after part of a revolution it will bind.

/ Chute deflector operator for snow blower #20  
Can you fit a stiff like 8" spring into one end or another to keep tension?
Jim