Who says draft control is only for farming? LOL

/ Who says draft control is only for farming? LOL #1  

carpenter383

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SE
I've been playing with the draft control on my kioti while yard boxing. So far I've found it is GREAT for smoothing dirt and gravel! I set the top link in the middle hole on the tractor set the box level and the draft at about "6" (which is about in the middle on my tractor) and the position lever all the way down. It follows the ground very nicely and dosen't gouge in when the tractor goes through a dip. It takes a min. to figure out where to set it, but those of you who haven't tried this should give it a shot! .......A good starting point is to lower the box to the ground then move the draft lever up till just before it starts to raise the box. (Basically just take the slack out of the pins)

/ Who says draft control is only for farming? LOL #2  
Interesting idea.

/ Who says draft control is only for farming? LOL #3  
That is one feature I have never been able to figure out. Guess I need to spend some time with it.

/ Who says draft control is only for farming? LOL #4  
My second tractor has draft control, and I love it. Using a box blade was pretty difficult before I had draft control.

/ Who says draft control is only for farming? LOL #6  
I wonder if anyone can list an advantage to anything less than draft control? I think all tractors should have it.

The only thing I can think of is maybe cost. How much more does it cost to manufacture a tractor with draft control than without.

/ Who says draft control is only for farming? LOL #7  
We had an old Furguson tractor with only draft control and we could do anything with it. Some people had a fit with this system. Maybe ours just worked right. We could lift and hold and plow and anything else just fine. I would think a box blade could work better with draft control rather than a position control lift. Good for you.

/ Who says draft control is only for farming? LOL #8  
I would think that draft control would help with scalping when using the brush hog, but I can't get it to help me at all. There is a top and bottom hole. Not sure if I should lengthen or shorten the top link?

/ Who says draft control is only for farming? LOL #9  
I just bought a Kioti DK45. I wanted draft control and Kubota wanted 800 bucks for it. It is an option on their tractors.

The top link has a compressive force pushing towards the tractor. The force is used as feedback, to control the 3pt lift arms.

When you set the draft control at a certain level, the control will attempt to maintain it. When you hit tougher pulling the plow or box blade will slightly rise, due to the increased force on the top link.

It is great for plowing or subsoiling.

/ Who says draft control is only for farming? LOL #10  
Just for grins you might want to try a demonstration of draft control that I learned 40 some years ago. Hook up a box scraper to your tractor, go to a field of loose soil, shift to the lowest forward gear, set the throttle at a good speed, hydraulics set for draft control, lower the box scraper to the lowest position. Let out the clutch and keep your hands off the hydraulic controls (we used to step off the tractor completely) and watch what happens. The box scraper will fill up, draft control will raise it up to reduce the load, it will fill up again, and the cycle keeps repeating itself.