Bad Oil New Tractor

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #101  
Good Evenin Chris,
:D Agreed ! :D

I think we scared BtB away, albeit, not intentionally ! ;)

I am not sure what BTB was looking for on here to begin with. Most people come here for help and get help. It seems all BTB wants is to blame others and get moral support for his stance. I would love to be able to help him as would most everyone on this board but I don't see what anyone can do to help him with what little information we have and no answers to any of our questions (but a lot of analogies to pharmacists:rolleyes:).

I completely understand the being sick part the last couple years. I am still fighting to recover from my injury in October of 2007. I am still not able to go back to work so money is very tight but I make due (even can afford Motorcraft oil for my truck and CNH oils for my tractors;))

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #102  
Most people come here for help and get help.
I am still not able to go back to work so money is very tight but I make due (even can afford Motorcraft oil for my truck and CNH oils for my tractors;))

Money is tight all over that's why I follow this forum, it has saved me money on multiple occasions. That's why we are here, to save each other money and aggravation?

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #103  
Well guys,
Very interesting posts, I have enjoyed reading them all. What I have learned and believe is this. Never use anything but OEM while under warranty, aways listen to that little voice, I have been injured buy not doing so, take responsibility, never listen to a clerk unless you know and trust them to know what they are talking about some do many do not, a lawyer should be a very last resort as they typically get all you got or as one old defense lawyer said in Texas all suspects are innocent until proven broke. As for me I use OEM filters and sudt in the tranny and a good diesel rated oil in the motor. BTB I do feel for you and hope the tractor gets fixed and you can put all of this behind you, I also hope you get to feeling better.
Take care-TPS

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #104  
I completely understand the being sick part the last couple years. I am still fighting to recover from my injury in October of 2007. I am still not able to go back to work so money is very tight but I make due (even can afford Motorcraft oil for my truck and CNH oils for my tractors;))

Good Evenin Robert,
I completely understand, I know what you have had to go through, at least on the internet level !

I have allways felt for someone struggling, as in our OP on this thread, I expressed my sympathy on my original post !

I have made some very unfortunate decisions through the years, my own fault mostly, and to be quite honest, I had to foot the bill for my bad decisions ! :(

At 58 Im starting to make better decisions ! I hope ! :)

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #105  
Good Evenin Robert,
I completely understand, I know what you have had to go through, at least on the internet level !

I have allways felt for someone struggling, as in our OP on this thread, I expressed my sympathy on my original post !

I have made some very unfortunate decisions through the years, my own fault mostly, and to be quite honest, I had to foot the bill for my bad decisions ! :(

At 58 Im starting to make better decisions ! I hope ! :)

I have found even when I make better decisions things come back to bite me some how. Last fall is the most recent example. I poured antifreeze into my air blast sprayer as well as the rest as I didn't trust trying to drain all the water from them, hooked up the pto and ran it through the pump. This spring the expansion bulb is broken from freezing. How it happened I don't know but it did, the kicker is I can't buy that part anymore but Durand-Wayland will sell me a complete new pump for $4k:rolleyes: Nice of them isn't it

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #106  
True Story on trusting what a sales clerk tells you:

I recently purchased a MillerMatic 252 MIG welder from a LARGE national welding supply dealer. I figured I'd buy from the local "experts" instead of off the Internet since I am a novice welder and, since THIS IS ALL THEY DO, I could depend on what they tell/sell me. FYI, I research any major purchase I make before I put down the cash.

Me: I'd like to buy that MillerMatic 252 over there in the box.

Clerk: Why?

Me: Because I've researched it and it should fit my needs.

Clerk: You know it takes 220 volts?

Me: Yep

Clerk: It takes a 50 amp service.

Me: Yeah, I know.

Clerk: OK. That'll be $2500

Me: Nah, I can buy it new online for two grand even.

Clerk: Oops. I meant that would be $2017.

Me: Cool. I'll take it. Also, I need a large roll of .045 self shielded flux core wire, a .045 sleeve for the wire and .045 drive rollers for the wire.

Clerk: All you need is the wire. The sleeve and drive rollers come with the welder.

Me: (thinking here we go again) Hmmm, that's interesting. Are you SURE it comes with the sleeve and rollers?

Clerk: Yep.

Me: I'm sure you're correct but before I drive 45 miles home to find that they AREN'T included I would like to check what's in the box.

Clerk: (after opening the box) I'll be darned... they aren't included. No problem I've got the stuff right here. (he hands me a sleeve and rollers)

Me: Well that's the correct sleeve but these are smooth rollers not the knurled rollers you need with flux core wire.

Clerk: Knurled rollers??? You sure?

Me: Yep.

Clerk: (after checking with someone else) Yep, you should use knurled rollers but we are out of them and will have to order them.

Me: No problem. I'll pay for 'em now and you can call me when they're in. Just give me the .045 wire and I'll be on my way.

Clerk: (Comes out from the warehouse and flops a big roll of Lincoln OUTERSHIELD flux core wire on the counter) That'll fix you right up.

Me: Ummmmm, I need self shielding wire. This needs shielding gas.

Clerk: Nope. This doesn't need gas.

Me: You sure?

Clerk: I'm POSITIVE this is self shielding.

Me: (blood pressure through the roof by now.... having chest pains and shortness of breath) Errrr, I admit I don't know anything about welding but I'm ALMOST POSITIVE that Lincoln Outershield wire takes gas and that Lincoln INNERSHIELD is what I need since I've been using .035 Lincoln INNERSHIELD NR211 for years and, logically, OUTERSHIELD would seem to indicate that it needs some sort of shielding gas.

Clerk: Hmmmm. That makes sense. (checks with someone else) Nope, Outershield is what you want.

Me: (sweeting profusely by now..... profoundly vulgar language at the tip of my tongue) Look, I don't want to drive 45 miles home only to find out that this is not self shielding wire. Is there a catalog you can check? If you have Internet access you can Google it.

Clerk (joined by the other "expert" now): Hey, that's a real good idea. Let's Google it.......... Well I'll be danged.... You DO need shielding gas with that wire. Let me go see if we've got any self shielding wire.

Me: (I walk outside to get some fresh air while they look for the wire I need because I'm about to blow)

Clerk: Oops. We don't have any of that in stock because our Min/Max ordering system says that we weren't selling enough of the .045 self shielding to stock any.

Me: This is a WELDING store. That's ALL YOU DO. You don't have ANY??? Not ONE SINGLE ROLL OF ANY SIZE IN .045 SELF SHIELDING?????

Clerk: Nope.

Me: (staring at him)

Clerk: We'll have to order it.

Me: (continuing to stare... suppressing the urge to do something that would probably get the local constabulary involved.) OK, I'll pay for it and you can order it and call me when the wire and the driver rollers come in.

[fast forward about two weeks]

Me calling them: This is so and so, has my order come in yet?

Clerk: What order?

Remember folks, these are the "experts". Welding is ALL THEY DO. This ain't Tractor Supply, Northern Tool, Harbor Freight or Wally World.

Bottom Line: If your mom tells you she loves you.... check it out.

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #107  
Always consider the level of pay a clerk is getting. They are getting paid for what they know, and they usually are not getting paid squat.

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #108  
nunyabinis:

I have to confess I was getting chest pains just reading that account of buying locally.:eek: You wouldn't think something like that would happen but it happens all too often.

I have to tell you that while I know that it is better to buy locally, sometimes I take the easy way out and order online for just this reason.

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #110  
That was a good story,you are talented,.

I feel them out with a visit generally first before buying from a welding place,trying to at least get the best of the worst I guess you'd say.

It is amazing to me that somebody selling welding stuff[and thats all they sell] wouldn't at least read up on how all this stuff works,and what you need for something to work,they don't need to be a welder or have a degree in welding,just maybe a little more general type knowledge than most appear to have.