Bad Oil New Tractor

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #181  
Do you mean 'hydraulic' fluid ?

Nope.
A tractor fluid is also hydraulic fluid but hydraulic fluid isn't necessarily tractor fluid:)

Kubota calls it Universal Dynamic Tractor fluid here- Kubota Tractor USA - Lubricants Schedule and then there is the Super Universal Dynamic Tractor fluid ;)

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #182  
Good Afternoon,
Last weekend I stopped at Salem Farm Supply, Salem Ny and bought 2 1/2 gals of transmission/ hydraulic fluid for my 1986 Massey 1040. I had noticed my transmission dipstick was reading kind of low so I knew I needed some fluid. Salem Farm Supply is a Case IH dealer along with Kubota.

I ended up buying Hydra Tranz, the specs meet Massey Fergusons' Permatran , but I have to admit I did smell it and check to make sure it was the proper color before pouring it in the trans ! ;)

The tractor still runs fine after mowing the fields ! :)

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #183  
The problem I see is tractor fluid isn't spec'd like almost every other lubricant used on a tractor.

Tractor fluid> hmmm. No real "standard" I'm aware of. There are all sorts of mysterious compositions and claims of "meeting specs" that can't be easily verified. Too bad there aren't standards like for other common lubricants.is wrong.

Uh,....You mean like JD 303 specfluid.

Ford New holland M2C134 spec fluid.

TDH fluid.. etc... hyguard..e tc.

there are plenty of manufacturer specs for UTF fluids to meet or exceed..

soundguy

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #185  
Uh,....You mean like JD 303 specfluid.

Ford New holland M2C134 spec fluid.

TDH fluid.. etc... hyguard..e tc.

there are plenty of manufacturer specs for UTF fluids to meet or exceed..

soundguy

No.

An industry standard spec, not a manufacturer specific spec.

Obviously there are lots of different manufacturer specs, that is the problem, there needs to be an industry wide spec.

Instead of having to inspect a container to see what manufacturer spec the oil claims* to meet it should be just like, say, gear oil. There should be an independent licensing and certifying program so one goes in and picks up a jug of, for example, 10w-30 TM oil and one knows that is what is needed regardless of who made it.

*AFAIK nobody checks to see if a fluid indeed meets or exceeds a tractor manufacturers specifications. So if Smutty's Fine Oil and Sex Wax Purveyors say their oil meets Mahindeerbota's oil specs, who is to say it does or doesn't?

Last edited:
   / Bad Oil New Tractor #186  
What was the green stuff? Ethylene Glycol??

BTW, why don't some of you OEM fluid gurus head over to the lube forum and tell me I'm a dumbass for even thinking about using '70s era Moly Long Oil in my tractor? The lube forum's gone dead because everyone's over here beating on B2B...

Where's DieselPower when you need him? Isn't he the final word and living archive on everything related to lubricants and additive packages?
Bob :D

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #187  
An 'industry wide standard will be next tu useless with all the different makes / models out there with different technology to conform to in their trans.. etc.

heck.. even in crankcase oil, when it comes to diesel.. nowadays you have to look at the '+' standard as to particulate fitlering.. etc.

manufacturer specs.. for now, are what we have.. and have to meet .. that's isn't all that hard these days...

soundguy

No.

An industry standard spec, not a manufacturer specific spec.

Obviously there are lots of different manufacturer specs, that is the problem, there needs to be an industry wide spec.

Instead of having to inspect a container to see what manufacturer spec the oil claims* to meet it should be just like, say, gear oil. There should be an independent licensing and certifying program so one goes in and picks up a jug of, for example, 10w-30 TM oil and one knows that is what is needed regardless of who made it.

*AFAIK nobody checks to see if a fluid indeed meets or exceeds a tractor manufacturers specifications. So if Smutty's Fine Oil and Sex Wax Purveyors say their oil meets Mahindeerbota's oil specs, who is to say it does or doesn't?

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #188  
What was the green stuff? Ethylene Glycol??

could have been green tinted heavy hypoid 140 for all we know.. and if it was.. no matter there was squealing comeing from somewhere.. as it was likely thicker than some relief valve wanted..

soundguy

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #189  
Do you think B2B's tractor might wind up as a craigslist special?:confused::D

Possible! With a few comments added. Such as; "Like New! Very low hours!" Or maybe something like "good Christian, needing to sell a tractor."

Who knows, I could be wrong. I just think it's safer to go new.

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #190  
This thread reminds me of the time I was riding around with my uncle while running errands for my grandmother. He had a little early 80's model Toyota pickup that had a small coolant leak that couldn't be found to be fixed. We were on a country road about 5 miles from my grandmother's house and at least a mile from the nearest house when the temp gauge went to the red. We pulled over to the side of the road and the radiator was steaming. He always carried an extra can or two of pre-mixed antifreeze for these occasions, and also always had a few empties. He goes to the back of the truck, grabs one and shakes it to make sure it's full. He opens the radiator and starts pouring what at first appears to be anti-freeze based on color. Then the smell hit us both just as a wad of wet toilet paper poured out of the bottle into the radiator followed by a brown lump.... My uncle had emptied the "chamber pot" at his deer blind into one of the empty antifreeze cans and forgot to throw it in the trash.

His response when he realized what he'd just done: "Well.... crap."

Funny thing was he grabbed a piece of fence wire off the back of the truck and fished the paper out of the radiator, along with the other, ahem, crap :D, and finished filling the radiator up with another bottle of anti-freeze and we drove on back to my grandmother's. He eventually got that coolant leak fixed, and had that truck for another 12 years at least.