Snow Attachments PVC Pipe On Snow Blade

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #31  
Thank you!!!!
Dang!!! A bomb guy, sorry, A fireworks guy!!! Way too cool and great tip!!

HDPE is the stuff to use. I had some left over from a city water installation job. It was schedule 80 and you can't break it with anything. It is pliable and tough. Hit it with a hammer and it just bounces........and it is cheap!

I will be putting it on my 7 foot rear grader blad ASAP we are getting snow!!:eek:

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #32  
A simple but effective trick I discovered while cutting a slot in PVC pipe with my table saw is to place wood dowels or sticks the same length as the I.D. of the pipe in each end perpendicular to the slot to be cut. When you slit the pipe, the wood prevents the pipe from closing back in on itself and binding on the blade. It should work on any plastic pipe. I like the HDPE suggestion better due to PVC's tendency to shatter easily.

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #33  
I've been getting stuff ready in case we get part of the big storm going through the northern part of the midwest right now. I finally got around to adding the PVC to the bottom of my blade, but haven't gotten to try it out yet (no complaints on that front...:p )

Anyways... to slit the pipe, I put in a thin cutting wheel in my 4-1/2" grinder, and it buzzed through the pipe like butter. I followed the edge of the printed text line as a guide, and had a 6' piece slit in less than a minute. I then added a v notch at both ends of the slit. I started the pipe onto my blade, then let the blade all the way down to the concrete floor. Holding the pipe between my feet, I tapped the end of the pipe with a medium hammer to get it slid on, moving after each hit so that I didn't run out of pipe (or feet :D). With the blade holding it down, the pipe did not try roll off the cutting edge of the blade, and with my feet being used as a guide, the pipe didn't flop around as it was being driven on.
We'll see if the PVC lasts any length of time in my use. I had some pieces that were left at my house when I moved in that I used for this little project, so am not out any $ in my experiment.

Thought I'd post up my tips for install and see if they helped anyone else.
Chad-

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade
Well we got the big one!!! 12" and still coming. I have been plowing on and off for the last 5 hours. Gonna take a nap now.

Been through my last two sticks of PVC. All shattered.

If we get a break, I might go into the village and see if the Hardware store has some of that HDPE stuff. I'm officially done with PVC. :D:D

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #35  
bp fick,
Just wondering are you plowing gravel only or paved surfaces ?
I know we never have that much snow but with somewhat limited use I have not had any shatter problems.

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade
Friend,

Well, first, our temps are considerable colder than Western Kentucky. Second, I plow for hours, as I have three 125' drives, and 1/4 mile private road to clear, plus my own place which is 150' double drive, plus aprons, etc.

All on gravel. Believe me, I plow, as I should, with speed. You cannot move that kind of snow we have here without speed. I was pushing 12" on that road. You gotta carry some speed to do it. We are up to 14" and they are calling for another 6-8 when the winds pick up. I don't know how often you get those kinds of snows, but we get them with constant regularity.

The PVC in those temps, and with that abuse, simply is shattering. No big deal. I really am anxious to try the better product, as I love having the tube on there. It just flat out does a better job. I admit to not knowing there was a better plastic and am sooooo grateful for the heads up given by others.

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #37  
Thanks for the reply. Yes there is a temp difference and we do not receive a
foot of snow on any given year as a total. We will on occasion have a 10"-14" but not often. Most of my blading is on asphalt or concrete and not using the pvc. Good luck with the heavy material maybe you can gain several
days of plowing without replacement.

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #38  
Friend,

Well, first, our temps are considerable colder than Western Kentucky. Second, I plow for hours, as I have three 125' drives, and 1/4 mile private road to clear, plus my own place which is 150' double drive, plus aprons, etc.

All on gravel. Believe me, I plow, as I should, with speed. You cannot move that kind of snow we have here without speed. I was pushing 12" on that road. You gotta carry some speed to do it. We are up to 14" and they are calling for another 6-8 when the winds pick up. I don't know how often you get those kinds of snows, but we get them with constant regularity.

The PVC in those temps, and with that abuse, simply is shattering. No big deal. I really am anxious to try the better product, as I love having the tube on there. It just flat out does a better job. I admit to not knowing there was a better plastic and am sooooo grateful for the heads up given by others.
With that much plowing with the blade angled, does the pipe slide off the blade?

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #39  
Friend,

BP, I noticed you are using "Schedule 40" pipe (also known as thinwall). May I suggest Schedule 80 pipe and give that a try?

Though the outside diameter of the pipe is the same and the inside diameter is slightly less, the wall thickness of the schedule 80 is 33% more than the schedule 40....and not much more money for a 10ft length. I just paid less than $5.

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #40  
Thought in 3" pvc schedule 20 was thin wall and 40 was thick.

Last edited: