12V Rust Preventing Device

/ 12V Rust Preventing Device #1  

jimainiac

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830HST
I just read an article in an automotive magazine reporting on products that were featured at the annual Specialty Equipment Manufacturers show. There was a device that hooks to the vehicle's battery and then has a wire that you connect to the sheet metal. It supposedly sends electric pulses through the vehicle to prevent corrosion. There is also a model that's self powered with multiple flashlight batteries, that can be used for steel trailers. It sounds too good too be true, but living in Maine there's a strong temptation to try anything that might help fight the corrosive effects of winter road salt. It probably belongs in the same category with the magic product that you put around your fuel line to increase your gas mileage.

So this is probably a stupid question, but has anybody heard of such a thing, and is there any reason to think that it would work? Not to give them a plug, but the name of the company is Defender Plus, and they have a lot of technical mumbo-jumbo on their website, The Defender-Plus Electronic Rust Control "Rustproofing Has Gone Green". I don't know how much it costs or where they sell them - probably PEP Boys, etc.

/ 12V Rust Preventing Device #2  
Actually, I purchased a new Ford Ranger pickup in 1990 which had a electronic device such as you are decribing on it from the factory. I forgot what they called it but it was there. Stayed rust free till a 16 year old crashed into me at an intersection and totalled it (About 3 years later). Was a good vehicle I might add! Did the device actually work? No real way of knowing. I have heard of experiments using electrical current attached to rebar in concrete bridges, etc. in attempts to curb rust (rust develops, expands, therefore cracking the concrete). Jim

/ 12V Rust Preventing Device #3  
I think you will find it does work to some point. Many boats have had these for over 40 years on the metal drive components that are submerged in the water. Its called a MerCathode system. I have a feeling these auto systems are just a version of marine application.

Mercury Marine - Mercathode Kit, Electric, 98869A14

Chris

/ 12V Rust Preventing Device
FFJ- I'm surprised to hear of a vehicle coming from the factory a device like that. Too bad you didn't get to keep the truck long enough to give it a good test. Even a Ford shouldn't rust out in three years. Just kidding...

DP- That marine unit is much more elaborate than the thing I was looking at.

If a thing like that really worked for vehicles, don't you think it would get a lot of press? It would be God's gift to the vehicle owners of the rust belt.

/ 12V Rust Preventing Device #5  
Funny thing you mention the Ranger, I had a 93 Ford Thunderbird in college and it had the Electronic Rust Preventative Device. Now that I think about it, that car never did have rust on the body panels. The frame rusted pretty good due to New England winter salt but the panels looked good.

Wonder why the idea didn't stick...

/ 12V Rust Preventing Device #6  
My boss's father has a device he uses on old rusty cars that clamps onto the frame of a rusty vehicle. After a few days, there will be a pile of rust on the ground, and if left on for around a month, the metal will become shiny where there was rust. I don't think it sends electricity through the vehicle though. I think he said it vibrates at very high frequencies.

/ 12V Rust Preventing Device
Thanks, Egon
I get the idea they don't think much of it.

/ 12V Rust Preventing Device #9  
interesting reading egon! thanks!

/ 12V Rust Preventing Device #10  
My boss's father has a device he uses on old rusty cars that clamps onto the frame of a rusty vehicle. After a few days, there will be a pile of rust on the ground, and if left on for around a month, the metal will become shiny where there was rust. I don't think it sends electricity through the vehicle though. I think he said it vibrates at very high frequencies.

This is interesting, do you have any idea what it's called or where it came from?